PDA

View Full Version : Sick Advice Needed, Please

Juicybeanie
07-27-10, 03:03 pm
I have had Juicy for an amazing 3 1/2 years; I rescued her at just 2 weeks! She's always been super friendly and loves floor time!

Juicy developed lumps about a year ago and the vet said that it was best to just leave them alone. Since then she has become very lethargic, not wanting to be held, weight loss, a very distinctive urine smell, blind, and white stuff has started coming out of her private area. The vet told me today that there was nothing more that he could do for her. She has progressively got worse this past week and I was just looking for advice on whether to put her down or not.

Juicy has given me 3 1/2 great years with her; I just am afraid that she is suffering and am looking for the right thing to do. Please any advice is helpful right now.

skinnypigs
07-27-10, 03:07 pm
I am so sorry to hear that, how heart breaking! If you feel she is suffering, I would say let her go to piggy heaven. If the cavy savy vet says nothing can be done and it will only get worse, you don't want to watch her suffer.
You did a wonderful thing taking her in at two weeks and I am sure she has had a wonderful life with you.

pinky
07-27-10, 03:08 pm
What are the lumps? Are they cysts, tumors? The white stuff might be sludge from too much calcium. I'd first find out whether what she has is treatable before I euthanize her. 3.5 years is not old so she might be able to recover with treatment and a change in diet.

Juicybeanie
07-27-10, 03:13 pm
They are tumors. She has numerous ones that can be felt on her stomach area. They have grown in size, some being quite large.

pinky
07-28-10, 11:29 am
With tumors, I'd trust your vet to let you know what the prognosis is and whether they can be surgically removed.

foggycreekcavy
07-28-10, 06:30 pm
How does the vet know they are tumors? Was a culture done?

How cavy knowledgeable is this vet? Tumors can often be removed.

I have a pig who has lumps all over his belly. They are fatty lipomas and unless they are large enough to inhibit movement can be left alone.

I wonder if your pig has something else going on? Or maybe the lumps are ovarian cysts?