Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Confused!!!!

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
Ok, so my piggies Lulu and Peanut shed...Alot!

The fleece they live on is accumulating a ton of hair in the 2 weeks between washing and I can't tell if it is normal or not. I also can't tell if the amount of itching they do is normal.

As a precaution, i treated them for mites with ivermectin paste multiple times, but there seems to be no change in anything.

Also whenever I touch their "bottom half" they twitch and seem uncomfortable with it.

Is all of this normal behavior or do i have a problem because It has been 6 months and they have no bald spots whatsoever. It has just been me constantly worrying like I always do.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
During certain times of the year I do believe animals shed more than others. My cat sheds alot in the spring. My guinea pigs shed often, but I solved the problem on their fleece by getting a little rubber pet hair removing brush. Everytime I spot clean I use it and before I put it in the wash.

My pigs also don't like being touched on their rumps. They twitch and run around the cage if I do.

So if there are no bald spots, or mites, it could be just normal.

Also you may need to change the fleece more often.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, many pigs don't like being touched "back there"!

I think pigs tend to shed more than people realize. Daily brushing or petting seems to help.

NikkiPPanther

Cavy Slave
I took my little brother brush from he was little. It has soft brisles and that helps get the fur of. Some of my guinea pigs are uncomfortable when they are touched there to. I think it is normal.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You mean you are not changing the fleece in their cage for 2 weeks ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.