Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Good C&C Cage For 2-3 Guinea Pigs?

MaddysCavys

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs. Dylan -- 1 years old. Oliver -- 4 & 1/2 Months old. I have them in a 2x5 C&C cage. But I would like to upgrade their cage to a 2x5 with 2x3 second story. lol So, Would this be a suitable cage for my 2 current piggies? & possibly 1 more?

Plan, 1x2 of the downstairs will be the kitchen (sectioned off, but part of the bottom floor obviously) Then the 2x3 upstairs will have the pigloo, beds, cozy saks, ect) Then the downstairs 2x4 will have there toys & tunnels & fun stuff! :)

Does this sound like a good plan for my 2 piggies? & maybe later on a third?

Opinions & facts please :)

You probably could put three boars in a 2x5, but I'm not sure; boys need more space.

Also, upper levels do not count for square footage, unless there is an external ramp they actually take up space.

The upper level sq. footage does not count torward the amount of space in the acutal cage. For 3 guinea pigs the miniuim is 2x5 but I would recommed more.

A 2x5 is fine for 2-3 boars. Generally it's 2 boars in a 2x4, 3 in a 2x5. For sows it's 2 in 2x3 and 3 in 2x4 as minimums. (I'm guessing you have boars?)

And although an upper level doesn't really count towards space, a 2x3 second level is a pretty good size and will add some more space. You may, however, want to consider making an outer ramp so your ramp doesn't take away from the cage space.

I think your amount of space sounds good but I recommend making the 1 by 2 kitchen area on the upper level so that they have maximum space on the bottom level for running and playing. Also for a ramp try doing an external one to save on floor place. Good luck and post pics when the project is complete!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.