Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Grass on his EYE!?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I just noticed that there is a tiny piece of grass that is physically on Louie's eye! I guess it is because he is munching on some grass outside. Should I be worried? Can I get it off somehow without injuring him? Should I just leave it for him to get out? Help please!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
He will probably groom it out himself but if you just can't stand it, you can try to flush it out with a natural tears type eye drop-no additives of any kind. DO NOT use plain water as it will cause a great deal of irritation. Watch it to make sure that it doesn't lodge under his eyelid.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I will leave it for tonight then, hopefully he will get it out, as I don't have any all natural eye drops! Leaving it won't harm him, will it? What are some signs that I should look for if things are going wrong? Sorry for all the questions, I am just a worried mommy!

There is nothing that I can see on guinea lynx either...

Last edited:

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
When Joy gets hay on her eye I usually just close her eye a few times and it usually goes to her lower lid where I can take it off cause having hay on her eye bothers me too :3

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
He seems to have gotten it out, there was no sign of it when I gave them their bedtime snack and refilled hay. Thanks guys!

Beahbeah

Cavy Slave
You might want to take him to the vet to get his eye checked just in case; one of my pigs had a small piece of grass hay in her eye for a few days, and I took her to the vet where they said that she had gotten a small laceration in her cornea from the hay. She had to have eyedrops twice a day for about a week, and it healed really well. I think you're better off safe than sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.