Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rosalie hates her lab blocks?

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. My rat Rosalie isn't eating her lab block type food. I've tried harlan teklad and oxbow but she'll eat it for like a day and then ignore it. She LOVES vegetables and fruits and ceral but refuses to eat her actual rat food. She starting to get a bit under weight. Should I try another brand...? There isn't really anything out there besides those two that are healthy eough for every day. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
My boys have been munching on lab blocks from babyhood but my friend has had much more difficulty with her two boys which I'm currently looking after. To keep her boys interested interested in their food I only offer them a couple of fresh blocks morning & night of 2 different brands (the blocks are kept in air tight containers to keep them fresh) and I keep varying what I give along side the blocks, some times cereal, some times seed, greens of course and if they're very lucky a little bit of honey on wholemeal toast. They munch through the yummy stuff first then start gingerly trying the lab blocks. They seem to have accepted it as part of their meals with persistance and I've spotted partly eaten lab blocks sneakily snashed away which I take as a great sign.

I think persistance and variety are the key because my friend swears her boys refuse to use a litter tray or aren't interested in food enough to train but I've successfully got them litter trained and loving their food now.

Keep food fun and don't give up! I go in to the kitchen and experiment with ways to serve the same old food in a different way and the furries seem to really respond. When my boys had colds I mixed a bit of honey and echinacea together and served on chopped up lab blocks - they loved it.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
I've heard Suebee's homemade rat mix is good, in addition to lab blocks. Keep trying!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I think some people use vegetarian dog food as a base for a rat diet. Though, don't take my word for it, I don't know much about rats.

cuckooforcavies

Cavy Slave
Something your rat will most likely eat is dog food. Sounds silly, but I've heard it works. And, isn't this supposed to be a site for guinea pigs, NOT rats?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Something your rat will most likely eat is dog food. Sounds silly, but I've heard it works. And, isn't this supposed to be a site for guinea pigs, NOT rats?

This site also have forums for rats, rabbits and hamsters I believe. You will see this thread falls under a heading called C&C Cages for Rats.

fluffycavy

Cavy Slave
You can feed your Rats Dog food. That is what my rats main food is instead of the block. They love it. They maintain a healthy weight. (not too skinny or too fat) And they get Fruits and Veggies as well. But go for the dog food, i promise that she will eat is and be just if not healthier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.