Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy How can I tell if my female is pregnant?

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
When I decided to adopt guinea pigs I knew I wanted a pair so they would be happy and have company. I adopted two "females", one from a friend who had an accidental litter and the other my boyfriend saw at a really gross pet shop and didn't want to leave "her" there. "She" was still very young when we got "her" and probably should not have been weened yet, that being said even when I checked for gender after bringing "her" have it appeared that he was a she. Anyway in the short amount of time the male and female were together I didn't once witness rumble strutting or mounting. Obviously this doesn't mean it didn't happen, but once they were separated he immediately started this behavior. They have now been apart for almost a month and I hadn't seen any signs of pregnancy in my female. However today during her weigh-in she has gained a whopping 100 grams in 5 days. She has never jumped so much in weight in such a short time. She is still very young so it could be a regular growth spurt. Just to be safe I am wondering if anyone could tell me some general signs of pregnancy to watch out for. I have already removed the ramp from her cage so she isn't straining herself, just in case.
Thanks!

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
When I decided to adopt guinea pigs I knew I wanted a pair so they would be happy and have company. I adopted two "females", one from a friend who had an accidental litter and the other my boyfriend saw at a really gross pet shop and didn't want to leave "her" there.

First, I think it's good that you did not want to adopt just one piggy. However, you should never purchase guinea pigs from a pet store. Ever. They will just replace that one with another from their "stock" since that's what they view them as. I feel bad for them as well. They're stuffed in tiny little cages too small for a hamster and rarely fed correctly. But I have learned on here that the best thing to do is not purchase from a pet store so they lose money and can't sell them anymore.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I agree with Amy1981. What happens when the next piggie comes in? Then the next? While it is very sad, you will only be contributing to the pet stores. All of my piggies came from pet stores, however, the first three were before I really understood much, and the last one was a surprise from my mom. I regret it, though, I wouldn't trade my girls for anything.

However, to answer your question, most Guinea Pigs will be pair shaped. Google pictures of pregnant Guinea Pigs to see. Honestly, though, to get an exact, confirmed answer, you will need to take her to the veternarian.

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
brindyzoeycandy thank you for the tip on the vet, I have scheduled her to go in next week along with my other female for general check-ups as well as checking for pregnancy. There is no reason to lecture me on the cons of purchasing pets from pet stores, I am fully aware of the way these businesses work. I already have him and love him, and do not plan on making any future purchases of pigs from pet stores. That being said, I did not post this question to be berated about having purchased Linus from a pet store, rather to get knowledgeable and helpful information on how to determine if my sow is pregnant. I am very interested in any other members tips or info on dealing with a pregnant pig. However, if all you are interested in is telling me I was wrong to purchase my pig from a pet store I am not interested. Thank you.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I agree with her.
No reason to lecture.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I agree, no reason to berate. Hopefully lesson learned, now KDonohue needs to take care of your pigs. I think it is good to go to the vet. Although my vet was not very helpful on determining if our new adoptee was pregnant, so we have been weighing and monitoring. The vet did say to be gentle when pushing on her belly, but that eventually you may feel lumps. Good luck with your new babies.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I was not berating you, only trying to get you to understand.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I didn't see anyone "lecturing". It is unfortunate you bought from a pet-store. Now you may have a pregnant pig.

If she is pregnant I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully she'll have a smooth birth and healthy babies.

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
ponnett, what did your vet do to try and determine the pregnancy? What should I expect when I bring her in? My plan is to continue weighing to try and gauge whether she is in fact pregnant. I have read up on how to physically handle a pregnant pig as well as what differences in feeding and housing I will need to provide. If you have any further tips or things you learned when dealing with your pregnant sow please share.

Amy1981

Cavy Slave
brindyzoeycandy thank you for the tip on the vet, I have scheduled her to go in next week along with my other female for general check-ups as well as checking for pregnancy. There is no reason to lecture me on the cons of purchasing pets from pet stores, I am fully aware of the way these businesses work. I already have him and love him, and do not plan on making any future purchases of pigs from pet stores. That being said, I did not post this question to be berated about having purchased Linus from a pet store, rather to get knowledgeable and helpful information on how to determine if my sow is pregnant. I am very interested in any other members tips or info on dealing with a pregnant pig. However, if all you are interested in is telling me I was wrong to purchase my pig from a pet store I am not interested. Thank you.

I was not lecturing or berating in the very least. I have seen a multitude of threads on here where members have done that and that was the last thing that I wanted to do. There was no reason to jump to the defensive as quickly as you did. Regardless, I did not mean to offend or upset you in anyway, simply state what I have learned thus far from this website. If I did offend, I do so apologize for it.

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
Is it safe to allow the vet to x-ray if she is in fact pregnant?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't know positively, but I'm pretty sure that it would be perfectly fine.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, my vet was not very helpful and stated that most likely if she is pregnant, we would know when we find babies. He did not offer an x-ray or ultrasound, but we have been monitoring closely, and prepared just in case. And of course we separated from the male as soon as we picked the guinea pigs up from the previous owner. Good luck.

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
Did your vet suggest separating your female from her cage mates?

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
They normally drink more water around 3-4 weeks along and then they start getting pear shaped when you look at them from the top. Also quick weight gain is another sign. Their nipples also get larger. At about 8 weeks you should be able to feel the babies move. As the delivery comes closer, their pelvic bones separate, if you run your finger down her spine you will feel the separation about where they tail would be if they had a tail. When you can fit two fingers between the bones, deliver will be soon. The little ones are normally born at about 70 days.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, my vet was not very helpful and stated that most likely if she is pregnant, we would know when we find babies. He did not offer an x-ray or ultrasound, but we have been monitoring closely, and prepared just in case. And of course we separated from the male as soon as we picked the guinea pigs up from the previous owner. Good luck.

Your vet does not sound very cavy savy.

For x rays, it depends on how far along the sow may be in the pregnancy.

Weighing the pig and monitoring her for weight gain can be helpful. But you can definitely tell a pig is pregnant around 6 weeks. You can feel the babies move.

I would not remove the pregnant one from her cagemates if they are already bonded.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
You are correct, the vet I went to did not seem very cavy savy. I did not find another exotic animal vet in my town yet. I did not separate my bonded females, but the two of the females were living in a very small cage with a male, that I of course separated immediately. Thank you for all of the signs to look for, that is very helpful.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Sorry I cannot give much advice or help, but I hope she has a smooth delivery with healthy babies! I am going through the same thing with my female pig right now which is why I opened this thread. My GP is pretty pear shaped and jumped in weight like yours did. I was thinking of going to the vet also, keep us updated on what they have to say. Good Luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.