Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

College

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I am very worried. With my pigs, (4 soon to be 5) and college coming up (1.5 years) I don't know what to do. I have to go to college, no other option. Also, I have to live on campus, no other option. My mom said she would take the pigs in her apartment while at college, though. Needless to say I don't want that to happen, she really dosn't know about pigs.

Does anybody know of/go to a college where small animals are allowed? Five pigs may be too much, but while at college, if allowed, and pigs arn't in the picture (if they have to stay home), I am going to adopt one or two rats.

What to do?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Well,
Some colleges have on campus houses that allow pets. In advance, find the college you like, check to see if they have any animal rules, and if they say none in the dorms, look for a nice on campus house/ apartment to rent. Make sure they will allow pets though of course. lol.
Hope it works out!
Moomoo

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
Do you just have to live on campus for one year? If so, perhaps your mom taking care of them might not be a bad idea if you can teach her how and she's willing to provide all the care they need. Then maybe you can move off campus where pets are allowed after freshman year? Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
slap maxwell: Where are you going to work? Are your parents allowing this?

Wow. I wish I had the option.
THat's from the pony thread. I am getting a job at Wawa(next year when I'm 16) Just to start up on my savings. I'm not sure where I will work during the day.(It will probably be just luck of the draw). FOr me and what I want to do, college is a waste of four years ( I would just end up partying, lol) and tens of thousands of dollars. Both of which I will need (especially the money) to start a small business ( either a cafe,diner or petstore, heck why not both, it's my store!) My mom completely agrees. She thinks/says that most of the time you end up not working in the degree you earned. I can get all the basic things I need to start a business in highschool and working at Wawa (a small convieniance store) will give me the experiance of that kind of environment. My store,if I chose cafe will be like an upper scale wawa with food, drinks, but better.
My mom is ok with me staying with her for like a year or so after highschool to get on my feet and stuff. Heh, my mom rocks.

Another plus is that I won't start out my life on my own with a giant debt for my student loan for something I won't probably ever need.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
dagwellismypigy said:
THat's from the pony thread. I am getting a job at Wawa(next year when I'm 16) Just to start up on my savings. I'm not sure where I will work during the day.(It will probably be just luck of the draw). FOr me and what I want to do, college is a waste of four years ( I would just end up partying, lol) and tens of thousands of dollars. Both of which I will need (especially the money) to start a small business ( either a cafe,diner or petstore, heck why not both, it's my store!) My mom completely agrees. She thinks/says that most of the time you end up not working in the degree you earned. I can get all the basic things I need to start a business in highschool and working at Wawa (a small convieniance store) will give me the experiance of that kind of environment. My store,if I chose cafe will be like an upper scale wawa with food, drinks, but better.
My mom is ok with me staying with her for like a year or so after highschool to get on my feet and stuff. Heh, my mom rocks.

Another plus is that I won't start out my life on my own with a giant debt for my student loan for something I won't probably ever need.
I'm not trying to say that your vision is impossible or anything, but I think it would be extremely difficult without some classes in business management and marketing. Unless your high school offers classes like that, though I doubt they would be very in depth, I think you might be biting off a little bit more than you can chew. My family owned a small business for 11 years, so I have a good idea of what's involved. Again, I'm not trying to burst your bubble here, I'm all about following your heart/dreams no matter what they are, but I'm just saying you might want to re-think your plan...but hey, I could be wrong and you could not go to college and be very successful, who knows.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I'm lucky to live where I live (not trying to brag) but my school district is supposed to be one of the top 5 or so in the state. We are offered alot of business classes (too many to choose) By the time I'm a senior I will probably have taken them all. I am going to summer school to get ahead in math so I can be able to take C++ so I can get a better job to start out with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying it's going to be easy. I just know that there isn't any way I could actually afford college and I don't want to start my life with a debt for something I didn't really want to do.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Slap, I don't know what I will do either... I'm going to uni in 2.5 years and I don't know what I will do with my pigs =( I don't think my parents will look after them, so hopefully my uni will be pet friendly!

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Wow, I can't believe how much of you all are so wrapped up/involved in your pigs. I'm not saying that's a bag thing.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, it's tough when you get so attatched to them. Obviously, I'm not going to give up uni for my pigs but it's difficult to part with them, no?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Yes, you are very right Piglet.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
dagwellismypigy said:
I'm lucky to live where I live (not trying to brag) but my school district is supposed to be one of the top 5 or so in the state. We are offered alot of business classes (too many to choose) By the time I'm a senior I will probably have taken them all. I am going to summer school to get ahead in math so I can be able to take C++ so I can get a better job to start out with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying it's going to be easy. I just know that there isn't any way I could actually afford college and I don't want to start my life with a debt for something I didn't really want to do.
Sounds like you're on the right track. My high school didn't offer any business classes (that I can think of, anyways) so that's why I was unsure about what your high school offered. And if you needed, you could probably take individual courses at a community college or something, I think that's relatively cheap to do. I wish you the best of luck! :)

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
My mom works at my high school, and she mainly teaches all types of business classes, Business Management, Business Basics, Entropuernorship (sp), Keyboarding classes, etc.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
We only have business studies and economics at my school. We only really get taught the core subjects like a language, science, d.t etc

Access

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
Does anybody know of/go to a college where small animals are allowed? Five pigs may be too much, but while at college, if allowed, and pigs arn't in the picture (if they have to stay home), I am going to adopt one or two rats.

What to do?
I have never heard of a College dorm where small animals were allowed (only fish). But that doesn't stop people from trying, a lot of people I know today snook in their small animals even though it technically was not allowed (mice, pigs, reptiles, snakes, frogs, turtles, hermit crabs... I saw all of these in College even though pets were technically forbidden.) Just make sure you know your roommate is OK with it before you try something like this, if she is not OK with it then you are sure to get reported and kicked out of the dorm.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Unless your going to let your mum look after them the only option I can see is trying to find a college that will let you keep animals. I know that alot of dorms won't but houses maybe. I too will be going to college in about 2years. Lucky for me It is only up the road so I can still live at home. Gd luck though! I hope that you can find a nice place that allows animals.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Well, my fiance and I have a plan for "No Pets Allowed" apartments. Most landlords and dorms are only interested in preventing damage from pets. Thats why they only allow fish. How much trouble can a fish tank cause. (Plenty, but that's besides the point!) We tell the landlord that we have two guinea pigs, they only weigh about two pounds, and they stay inside the cage. (Mostly true...) No opportunity for carpet damage, no kitchen cabinets chewed up, etc... Maybe this will work for the dorm situation or a rental option. Its worked well for us. Everything is negotiable! Be sure to ask the person in charge for an exception, they can only say "No", and at best they say "Yes"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.