Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Bitter lettuces?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I've been growing greens (red romaine, arugula, Bibb lettuce and baby butterhead lettuce) for my pigs this year. The red romaine leaves are very bitter, and the Bibb lettuces have recently gone very bitter because of the heat. I didn't realise this at first, as I wasn't eating them myself, so I kept giving them to the pigs. And weirdly, they LOVE them! My question is, what makes the lettuces go bitter (chemically) and are they still safe for them to eat? (Oddly, the pigs don't like arugula).

Pigjes

Cavy Slave
There are many chemicals in the veggies which make it bitter. Here it goes, lol, a long and boring explanation, for those who are interested ;)

Some bitter compounds are lipophilic, which means they are capable of dissolving in oil. Cruciferous vegetables, such as mustard greens are bitter. Sometimes, riping makes something bitter, like in fruits, when a riping compound is produced.

The acidity of the soil, the lack of water in soil, can cause bitterness in some veggies, like carrots. Younger veggies are less bitter than older ones.

More bitter components in veggies: phytonutrients ( a type of antioxidants), including glucopyranosides like salicins, some flavonoids and polyphenols, most antioxidants, antipyretic ones, limonin, ... and I must have forgotten a few. 😌

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thank you, Pigjes! I'm sure it's heat/lack of water that have made them go that way (the Bibb lettuce, at any rate). Is it still OK for them to eat?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Arugala isn't the best to give them often but I'm sure if the rest is a little bitter it won't bother them much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.