Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Guinea Pig... Table?

Bathaleph

Cavy Slave
I'm having a hair-brained scheme, so I figure I should acid test it with you folks before I take it too seriously lol

I live in a building with a bed bug infestation (our apartment has been okay for a month but I don't trust it] so in order to keep my little guy safe I have to keep him in a (39.5" x 25"] store bought cage on 2' metal legs that are wrapped with duct tape and petroleum jelly. It's the largest sold up here in Canada, but now that my rescue pig is starting to recover from his health problems, I want a cage big enough for two boars. It needs to have metal, not wood legs, at least 2' high and no more than 2" wide. The less contact there is with the floor, the better, and I have to be able to wrap them in duct tape so C&C grids are not an option.

There are two elements to my plan (muahaha]: An open top table and a flat, weighted cage pad.

1. Table:

I want to build a 3x3 grid cage, so the table will need surface dimensions of 14x3+4 = 46" to a side. The extra two inches will allow for mounting brackets. My plan is to purchase a laminate project panel or 3/4" plywood sheet and cut it to the right size with a wood saw. I will buy screw-on metal legs for it. After the table is cut to the right size and assembled, I will screw two lengths of 2" square wood strips to each edge, leaving a very small gap between them to create a slot 2" deep and just wide enough to hold a grid. I will paint the whole thing with a good wipe down acrylic bathroom paint, then attach rubber baseboards over the exposed interior wood strip to prevent chewing. If my guess is right, this will leave me with a very sturdy 3x3 grid cage without an interior tray, with easily removable grid sides 14" tall, and no exposed wood the pigs can get to.

2. Weighted cage mat:

I can get away with not having a tray in the cage because I plan to use fleece, so there will be no bedding to contain (and the 2" ledge should keep poops and most hay in). I will line it with a removable square pad (cut to the interior space of 38" to a side). The pad will consist of a fleece pillowcase with snap closure. Inside will be a 38"x38" piece of linoleum to weight it down and prevent moisture making it through to the painted wooden floor. On top of that will be a mattress pad or towels, as one would normally have. If this works, cleaning should be easy - remove pigs, lift out the somewhat stiff pad, fold it in half, take outside and brush clean, wash fleece & liner, replace. Removing poops on a daily basis would also be easy - lift out pad, bend in half, shake, poops will pour out the end into the rubbish bin. The grids from one wall could be easily removed from their slot, making brushing out any stray hay and hair easy as well.

What do you folks think? Is this a worthy project?

Last edited:

Pigjes

Cavy Slave
A table won't stop the bed bugs from getting into the pigs cage. The cage itself sounds like a good idea, but I'm worried about what actions are take to kill the bed bugs. If they use pesticides all over the building, this will affect your piggies health, even kill them.

NikkiPPanther

Cavy Slave
That also came to my mind...what are you using to kill the bed bugs?? If it some kind of pesticide it will hurt or kill your guinea pig. How come you have to wrap the metal or legs?

Bathaleph

Cavy Slave
Wrapping the legs with duct tape prevents the bugs from crawling up them. You wrap it so that the sticky side of the tape is out. The petroleum jelly is impossible for them to cross and is a last measure against any particularly enterprising bugs. Bed bugs cannot fly and can only jump short distances. I have had my bed (with 18" metal legs) treated this way and went the remaining 6 weeks of our infestation without being bitten once. Wood is undesirable as the bugs can lay their eggs in its crevices - thus metal legs.

The pesticide used in Canada is a spray that is aerosolized (in the air) for 8 hours, then settles on the surfaces. I remove my pig in his carrier to my friend's house for 32 hours (triple their recommendation), just to be certain that there are no fumes left. After I return, I remove all his bedding and thoroughly wash the cage and toys. I'm certain that he isn't ingesting any of the pesticide.

As I mentioned, our unit has been bug-free for a month. I would like any cage I built to be bug proof though, just in case they return. I could just buy a table to stick under a 3x3 cage, but I think that this idea will be sturdier and easier to clean, which is why I am posting it here for ideas or input.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.