Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Ugh...downsizing.

• Thread starter brindyzoeycandy
  • Start date

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I had plans to make our cage bigger. But now, my mom hated the size so we had to actually cut a grid off width-wise. So from a 3x5 it went to a 2x5. I have four piggies, and I believe someone told me that the bare minimum for four sows were 2x5.

Actually, since it's up on a bedframe it did need to get a grid off, but still. Does anyone have any experiences with four sows in a 2x5? Are they happy?

So, I HOPE they're going to be still happy. We're getting piggy bedspreads soon, even though it takes 6 weeks to arrive...ugh.

Anyway, my ACTUAL question is about stacked cages. I know that upper levels do NOT count for square footage and is just extra space. However, if I had a stacked cage that was the same exact size as the bottom (2x5), would that count for square footage? I'm not hundred percent sure on stacked cages.

But, my new plans (my mom is thinking about stacked down the road, which hopefully she sticks with!) are to have two stacked 2x5s, and a 2x3 L shaped loft at the top. Before I get the stacked I'm still going to get the 2x3 L shaped loft for them, for their kitchen.

So, does anyone know if stacks count for square footage?

Last edited:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It depends on how the ramps are placed in the cage. If you make a ramp on the outside of the cage and have two stacked 2x5 areas I think that would be acceptable and would definitely add to the overall space. It would also give the pigs an option of getting away from eachother if they want.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have 3 sows in a 2x5, 2x3 L Shape. But they can only really run around in the 2x5 cause the 2x3 is a kitchen, Anyways, It works great, I think I could get one more and it would work fine! But 4 is pushing it..Do you have to have your cage on a bed frame?
Can you not leave it on the ground?

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Minum for 3 is a 2x5, But since they are sows I think four would work.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
4 pigs in a 2x5 is the minimum. I agree 100% with Peggysu, it would work, but an outside ramp would be a good idea.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I want to also add that if you do add another level consider how easy it is to access all areas of the cage for cleaning. I have a stacked 2x6 with a grid between each level so that I can get in there and clean it easily. There's a picture of it in my photo gallery.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Thank you all.

medusa_stew, unfortunately, my dad is 'insistent' on having it on the bed frame. I wanted to make a stand out of grids, but my dad is really stubborn on certain things.

I love the external ramp idea. If hopefully my mom continues to let me have the stacked cage down the road, then I will do that.

My first concern for the stacked was cleaning. My parents wouldn't let me have it as high as Peggysu's (love your cage, btw!) because they feel it would 'take away from the TV' right beside on the wall. (My parents really love animals but sometimes I feel they're more concerned about the room) What I was planning on doing was having swing open doors. Since they would be piggy bedspreads, I wouldn't have to pin them so I feel it would be easier and I just use my little hand vaccum through the doors.

I feel really bad for putting them in a 2x5, TRUST me. I also really don't like the bedframe; I like that they're off the ground, but...I don't know. It's sturdy, but I want more space for them! Ugh...

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
Medusa-stew, I love that ramp. Is it ziptied to the outside? I figure it is asyou used zip ties to construct the ramp.

Depending on the pigs, running space can be important. Also cleaning access to the lower level is imiportant for you. If you have only play space on the main 2x5 level, an outside ramp and and a Ushaped upper level around three sides of the cage, you should have plenty of usable room. I would make the ends of the U 2x1 and the connecting part just one grid deep, if that leaves you enough access to the main level.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
YES! My mom said if I stop talking about cavy cages (stop talking about cavies? What? hehe) that I can make it stacked with an external ramp. Yes! Now I'll feel so much better.

So...for extra clarification, a stacked 2x5 with an external ramp WOULD work?

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Yes, it would. Hopefully you'll be able to upgrade back to a bigger cage in the future, but for now it'll work.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Yes, hopefully. Right now I can't say anything about it, but I'll feel better. I think they'll liked they're stacked cage, I'm trying to get it done ASAP.

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
Excellent!!!

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
No that's not my ramp.

I found it on ramps in the photo albums.
But My friend rosalyn has a ramp like that and she loves it, cause it does not take up space.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I'm making my ramp almost like that, except mine will be more towards the front because there's a small amount of space, smaller than half a grid but enough for an external ramp.

It's hard to make the cage though because it's hard to reach the back (can't go behind it, so I have to lean over)

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
If you don't have the extra grids, you can use plastic tubes sold in pet stores or even PVC drainage pipe that comes with holes in it. I drilled out the holes and made them larger for one of my ramps, as it was a really long one. The pigs loved it. I just drilled feed holes in the pipe and used zip ties to attach it the side of the cage.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
My dad is in the patio furniture business, so I will definitely try and see if he has some spare PVC pipes lying around.

Also, I counted out my grids and connectors; I think I'm probably the only one who would have THIS problem. I'll run out of grids before connectors... :/

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
No your definitely not the only one... ug. It's so annoying I never have enough grids.

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
You need 4 inches minimum diameter. If you don't use the drain pipe, which comes with holes, then definitely drill holes.

If you got to Home Depot or one of those stores, there is a pipe similar to PVC, some aisle, but much less expensive. It also has holes. I think I bought a 10 foot section for $7.50. The same PVC was $13. The more holes/light the more the pigs like it.

Both types have elbow pieces to connect one level to the other.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I know. I should invest in a stock of them :p

Okay, new question. As I'm slowly running out of grids, I feel the second story needs some elevation. (I only have a couple of floor grids upstairs at the moment) I don't want to put a grid in the middle because I feel that would take away their running space. I have a piece of wood that would probably work perfectly (it's long, but it's not wide, which is what other people use) but I'm not sure how to use it. If I can't get that to work, does anyone have any tips for elevation and so the second floor doesn't collapse? (I don't know if it will, but better safe than sorry)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.