PDA

View Full Version : C&C Stacked cages: Is darkness healthy?

sdpiggylvr
06-28-10, 09:12 pm
I am thinking about building a stacked cage to accommodate my future foster pigs and the one I currently have. The bottom level would be completely for my two pigs, and I'm wondering whether it is healthy for pigs to have darker cages when the cages are stacked? And would rope lights sufficiently brighten the space?

2sCompany
06-28-10, 10:26 pm
Yes rope lights would be more than enough to light the bottom. 3 of my cages are like this, it will work fine.

Pigjes
06-28-10, 10:55 pm
Piggies need sunlight as much as humans do, for changing pro-vitamin D in their skin into vitamin D, not to get depressed from the lack of sunlight. I recently read that vitamin D helps to regulate the Calcium / Phosporus levels too, which can get easily out of balance in piggies, so it contributes to the formation of kidney and bladder stones.

So, at some point of the day, piggies need some direct sunlight for about 20 minutes is sufficient.

At the back of my house, where my living room and kitchen is, 10 out of 12 months, there is no direct sunlight. I bought a sunlight bulb, put it over their cage and switch it on 20 minutes a day, which benefits us and the piggies as we sit in the same room as them, as hub and I also lack direct sunlight most of the time. I was skeptical, but felt the difference myself after a week.