Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello I'm new here

Diella

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I don't have any guinea pigs at the moment but I used to keep them. I kept and bred guinea pigs for 10 years. Then I stopped for a while. I want to keep guinea-pigs again but I am in my last year of school and so my parents have decided that I am too busy this year for them but I will be getting two guinea-pigs next year or around Christmas time.

Since I have been out of practice in keeping guinea pigs and I was young when I last kept them I thought that I would join a forum to brush up my knowledge and make other guinea pig owner friends.

I live in South Africa so I hope that that does not make things too confusing when it comes to breeds and shops or cages.

I hope that you find me friendly and approachable.

Regards,
Diella

MBlight

Cavy Slave
Hey, I'm also from South Africa! Welcome!

Just a question, though. Are you planning on breeding them again?

Pigjes

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I cant wait to hear ho piggies are kept in South Africa, if there are vets available, housing, etc. I would love to hear all of it!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you're taking the time to learn before acquiring more pigs.

Fair warning, though - this forum is very much anti-breeding, so if you're hoping to breed your pigs again or are in any way looking for breeding advice, you're not likely to find anyone to encourage you in that endeavor here.

Diella

Cavy Slave
Hey, I'm also from South Africa! Welcome!

Just a question, though. Are you planning on breeding them again?

Yay another South African. :)

I am not planning to breed them, well not in the next 5 or so years.

Diella

Cavy Slave
@Pigjes- I'm really excited to tell you all, all about it :)

@Paula- Don't worry I have seen loads of guinea-pig sites and they are almost all anti-breeding. From my 7 or so years experience of breeding guinea-pigs I know exactly why it is so discouraged. Strangely enough in South Africa I never see rescue case guinea pigs. All the pet shops i went to to give the babies to were all happy to have them and I have never seen them at any SPCA or vets. I don't think that they are THAT popular here. although that might have changed after that guinea pig movie. Still when i used to take my guinea pigs out with me people used to call them hamsters. Thanks for the warning though.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
That there doesn't seem to be an overpopulation problem *yet* in your location hardly seems like reason enough for you to do your part to create one.

Giving babies to a pet store - that's wonderful. Do the pet stores in your area do any kind of screening for buyers, or do they just let anyone with money to pay buy the pigs you provide like they would a pair if nylon stockings?

Diella

Cavy Slave
That there doesn't seem to be an overpopulation problem *yet* in your location hardly seems like reason enough for you to do your part to create one.

Giving babies to a pet store - that's wonderful. Do the pet stores in your area do any kind of screening for buyers, or do they just let anyone with money to pay buy the pigs you provide like they would a pair if nylon stockings?

To be honest when I bred my guinea pigs I was eight years old and did know anything about overpopulation. I have not bred my guinea pigs since I was 12 and I am 18. I'm sorry if I insulted you.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I encourage you, Diella, to check out Cavy Spirit's breeding page. Breeding Guinea Pigs

Though you may be aware of the risks and effects on animal welfare of breeding, it's a good idea to read the page, nevertheless. I'd also appreciate it if you didnt breed at all.

Last edited:

Diella

Cavy Slave
Please could everyone stop jumping down my throat because I have stated multiple times in this thread

I am NOT going to breed guinea pigs.

I just want to be the proud owner of two female guinea pigs. And yes I do know how to sex them. :weepy:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Actually, what you said is that you aren't going to breed them in the "next 5 years or so." That doesn't really indicate that you absolutely won't ever breed them and that's what people are trying to prevent.

What you did in the past is done and no one is "jumping down your throat" for something your parents allowed when you were a small child. Now, though, you don't have the luxury of ignorance because you are aware of overpopulation and while there might not be a problem where you are yet doesn't mean you needn't worry yourself with such matters and carry on as you please - now or five years from now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.