Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for a good water bottle

Whooie

Cavy Slave
UGH!~!~!~ I am having trouble with water bottles for my pigs. I have purchased 2 different kinds and I come home to wet fleece and an almost empty bottle.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on a good water bottle? I don't want my piggies walking around with wet piggies.

:?: :?: :?:

Sirene

Cavy Slave
So far the glass Super Pet ones (the ones with the little yellow duckies in them) have been working well for me. There seems to be some dripping when they drink (or maybe the pigs are dribbling) as the pad always has a slight tide mark where the water bottles are when I change it, but they have never emptied out/drained and the fleece has never seemed wet. I got them from Linens n Things online, in the Pet section, and they were pretty cheap!

(I've had them a couple of months, at least.)

NikkiPPanther

Cavy Slave
All water bottles will leak evenaully...even if they are the best one. Maybe it is just the way they drink.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
So far I haven't had a leaky one.
Hope you know that they need to be filled
right to the very top of the bottle (i.e. the top of the cap-spout). Then screw the top tightly, turn over and check whether the ball seals in the water by tapping your finger
quickly against the ball in the spout. It should just give you a drop.
I use a glass water bottle which is easy to clean and holds the seal very well.
I also have a small hamster-sized water bottle (plastic) that one of the piggie-sitters put on the cage by mistake. Turns out one of my piggies prefers the little thin spout on the hamster bottle!

NikkiPPanther

Cavy Slave
Once a water bottle gets worn out it will leak....I have normal one from the pet store( that does not sell animals) and it leaks every once in a while.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I have bricks under my water bottles and my fleece never gets wet. Maybe you could try that. ?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've been using the same brand of bottles for at least 5 years and they've never leaked when filled properly. It's a brand made here in Arkansas and they are the best ball type bottles I've ever come across. Here is the site- (broken link removed)

I bought mine at Wal-Mart but you can order from the website too.

The trick with ball bearing bottles is to fill them completely full to the very top. Then screw on the lid and you get a really good seal. My CoCo plays with the water bottle often but it still has never leaked all over the cage.

mochaviolino

Cavy Slave
I second the Super Pet glass water bottles. Just throw out the duck. Plus, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for using less plastic :)

Whooie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the tips. I did not know I needed to fill it all the way up. Here is another question. I have seen on that looks like a small nail is at the tip and this one claims to have a better suction than the ball. Has anyone tried that? I don't know if it will hurt my piggies or not.

pinkingofyou

Cavy Slave
I too have had the problem of finding a perfect bottle. I've gone through so many leaky bottles I gave up hope! I can't wait to see what people say since this could be a life saver -- now how to clean the stubborn bottles...

CavyCrazed00

Cavy Slave
Maybe your piggies are just plating in the water. Mine do that a lot. lol

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have been having this problem with a couple of my bottles too. Thanks for the website Ly- I am going to order a few of those and see how they work out. :)

silverstream007

Cavy Gazer
All I know is that you should never buy a bottle from somewhere like Walmart. They leak terribly. The bottle I current have is a Lixit.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure the rubber gasket is tightly fitting into the cap. You can even try flipping it over to see if it helps. I don't always fill mine completely to the top but I do squeeze the bottle before putting the cap back on. I think it helps form a vacuum. If I buy a new bottle and it leaks, I return it. If I toss out a cap, I keep the rubber gasket to use in another bottle if it starts to leak.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I use Living World water bottles and never have troubles. Once in awhile when I put the bottle on the cage it will drip and all I do it tap the ball a couple times until I see that no water is dripping. I think the ball just needs to sit in the spout properly.

HorseShoe

Cavy Slave
We have the All Living Things Top-Fill water bottle. It doesn't have a ball, but instead a valve stem. They use it just as you would a regular bottle. My bun Charlie drinks like crazy, it drips a little from him, but it doesnt leak yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.