Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Garage 10 gallon Aquarium

riverlove

Cavy Slave
I need some advice. I was talking to a co worker about guinea pigs and found out that she used to have a male cavy but couldn't stand the smell. I asked what happened to it? She told me she gave it to another family member who now has it in a 10 gallon aquarium in the garage.
We have two males and a 2*4 c&c cage in the works.
When the cage is complete... how do I ask to take him in?
Also, could I do a 2*4 with 3? or is this a huge no?
As far as our repationship.... we get along great at work but we dont hang out or anything.
I would love some advice because I can be rude and blunt sometimes but I need to stay professional at work.
Thank you.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
I would try to go to atleast a 2X5 for 3 if you possibly can, especially for males. So you want to take him in? Well... do you know if the family member actually WANTS him? If they don't it would be easy, just say you love guinea pigs and would like to have him live with yours. If they don't really want him that much they shouldn't take offense.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I honestly wouldn't go any smaller than a 2x6 for three males. And I think you might be pushing it at that, but it can work. It'll take lots of patience and time, but it definitely can work.

As for *how* to suggest you take him in to your co-worker, if it were me I'd probably come up with some kind of story about how you've really been wanting to find a third guinea pig and wondered if she thinks her relative might be willing to part with the one living in a fish tank in the garage. You don't have to be rude or condescending, just attempt to sell it as though it could be a win-win for the both of you.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
I can't imagine that they are really loving that pig if it is living in the garage. Poor pig, I wish you luck in acquiring him!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Yeah, Flssgrl is right--they probably aren't very attached to an animal they keep in the garage. I'm glad you are willing to save the poor piggle.

riverlove

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. I made some more calls today for coroplast and I think I am just going to buy an entire sheet. I still have to find cubes but if I dont find them within the week I may just have to order a cage from Sue. I want to hurry so I can give the "garage piggy" some love, alfalfa, veggies. friends and some room!

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Sounds awesome...let us know how it goes! Lucky piggie he will be!

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Good luck building the new cage. Glad you are rescuing the little guy. I found cubes at Walmart on line with free shipping recently for our upcoming adoption.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
Remember, only alfalfa if the pig is under 6 weeks old. I hope you get him!!

riverlove

Cavy Slave
Good luck building the new cage. Glad you are rescuing the little guy. I found cubes at Walmart on line with free shipping recently for our upcoming adoption.

Thank you! I saw that as well. Are you talking about the free shipping to a store near you? (They are discounted too! $22 down to $18!)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I want to hurry so I can give the "garage piggy" some love, alfalfa, veggies. friends and some room!
Don't forget you'd still have to quarantine the new pig away from your current ones for 3 weeks. So you'll still got some time to build the new cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.