Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Damp Butt?

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
My rabbit, Skittles, has a mildly damp butt :eek:hmy:. Not quite sure what this might indicate.
He is currently eating Timothy hay, Oxbow pellets, fruits and vegetables:
  • lettuce
  • carrot
  • strawberry
  • green bell pepper
I only noticed this this afternoon when I picked him up to clean his floor-time area.

Thanks in advance.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
He is probably sitting in his pee, My guinea pig allie does that so I had to cut all the hair off on her bum!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
As Medusa said, he is probably just sitting in his urine. You could give a butt bath if it bothers you, but it will more than likely continue happening.

How often are you feeding the strawberries and carrots?

Also, more variety in his diet (different color peppers, cilantro, parsley, and so on...) would benefit him.

PS. I just noticed that you are talking about your rabbit. :eek: I apologize for skipping over that part of your post and the forum location.

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
I feed the strawberries about twice a week, same goes for the carrots. He only eats an 1/8 of the strawberry- I get to eat the rest ;) and for the carrots, they're about the size of a pinky.
He's only 6 months so I have just started introducing him to other veggies and fruits.

Last edited:

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I feed the strawberries about twice a week, same goes for the carrots. He only eats an 1/8 of the strawberry- I get to eat the rest ;) and for the carrots, they're about the size of a pinky.
He's only 6 months so I have just started introducing him to other veggies and fruits.

I will admit that I do not know much about rabbits, and I am sorry for not being able to help you. I hope someone more rabbit-savvy comes along. Good luck. : )

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
SFailed186, it's totally okay! I appriciate your info too. :)

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok, I got this off of RabbitsOnline forum:

"Fruit should be regarded as a treat item and fed in limited quantities only as it is high in simple sugars and can lead to gastrointestinal disturbance and dental caries."

"Sudden changes in diet must be avoided. Any change in diet should be made gradually over several days to weeks, starting with small amounts of the new item and gradually increasing them, whilst making a corresponding decrease in the unwanted item if necessary. Ad lib hay should always be available, and it is especially important to ensure that weanling rabbits eat plenty of hay...."
"Green foods are also important and a variety should be fed daily to rabbits of all ages. They should be introduced gradually to weanling rabbits. Examples are broccoli, cabbage, chicory, chard, parsley, watercress, celery leaves, endive, raddichio, bok choy, dock, basil, kale, carrot and beet tops. Wild plants can be given if available, e.g bramble, groundsel, chickweed, dandelion. All green foods should be washed before feeding."

Here's the link I found this information: (broken link removed)Removed - we do not allow links with breeding how-to info or those celebrating breeding.

They have alot of good information on rabbits (even though they do have a section on breeding) and are a very knowledgeable group. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beka27

Cavy Slave
Does he have an issue using a litterbox and is he neutered?

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
No, he isn't neutered yet.

He uses the litterbox to go pee in. As for the poop, he does that when there's bedding in there; I am low on bedding and it's only until next week Saturday that I can get some more, so I've cut down on the amount in the litterbox. Sometimes I might not even use any.

Beka27

Cavy Slave
He poops in the box when there's litter in the litterbox, you mean? There should always be some sort of litter in the litterbox. If he sits in urine for a prolonged period, he can get urine scald on his hind quarters. Not to mention the mess it makes. The litter will absorb urine so even in a "dirty" box, it should feel dry to the touch.

What type of litter do you use? If the cost is a concern, you can try woodstove pellets (without accelerant) from a hardware, tractor, or home improvement store. Or horse stall bedding. You need only a very thin layer of litter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.