Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The new kid on the block

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to the cavey clan. I just purchase a 7 month year old black and white short haired named Cookies and Cream or CC for short. Cookie is still getting use to the apartment. He is venturing out of his cylinder more and more. Though he does scamper at times. I've done a lot of vacuming the last 3 days. He loves green bell peppers and carrots. However, he isn't liking his peanut butter treats to much. I've been around guinea pigs all my life, first time I've own one of my own. So, it's a process. He still has a few more days before I try handling him more. He likes the place and I did the first partial cage cleaning that went well. I hope to see you all around the forum.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Nice to have you aboard. Good luck

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
What kind of peanut butter treats do you have? Treats like this can cause unwanted fat and are usually un healthy.
Yes, In your Cavy experiance, you will definatley do a good bit of vaccuming.
Otherwise, Welcome to the asylum..I mean forum! Have fun!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
They are Kaytee's crunch arounds. CC doesn't seem to have interest in them. He is suppose to get three since he's all by himself but hasn't touch a one in the last 3 days.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Here's a pic of Cookies and Cream.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Are you considering a C&C cage?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
If you have never had a guinea pig before you can go to Guinea Pig Lynx. The link to it is on Cavy Cage's home page. It has a great beginners guide..

Cherryrosed

Cavy Slave
Welcome Ryan. We are happy to have you here. I just joined Friday and love this site. I have learned a lot from the Cavy Slaves here. I found this site just before I bought my two 5-6 month-old girls. Guinea pigs are very social animals and love to have a cavy companion. Did you just use copy and paste to put Cookie's picture here? I want to post a picture of Lassie and Poppy here as soon as I can take one.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the pic was copied and pasted. I have his image over at photobucket. He's right now going more and more out of his cylinder, but sudden noises from my neighbors or if I look at him to fast, makes him run back in. When I do get him a companion, I'll look more into a CC cage for CC. Just right now since I haven't started my new job and everything. I'm just getting him up to speed. I'm definantly going to get him a hay wheel. He just devoured what I gave him this morning in the last hour. He got really hungry.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Remember they need unlimited hay. When do you plan on getting him a buddy? He really shouldn't be in the cage for too long. You can construct a CC cage for about 30 dollars. Welcome!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I'm seeing how the month goes right now. There is an adoption next weekend, so I'll be checking into that. As for the hay situation, I just orded a hay wheel, so that will keep his hay supply at a controlable statis for a bit. Plus it keeps it clean and organized. He isn't running back into his hole when I walk on by now. He's getting a lot better. Funny thing happened, he was trying to get the last piece of lettece out of his veggie bell. He noticed the bell on it and kept hitting it. He hit it hard and it hit him back and then he ran back into his cylinder. He then came out again and tried again and got the lettece. It was so cute.

PumpkinPunk

Cavy Slave
Hi Ryan, welcome! Your piggie is very cute! I have a hay ball and I think they're a great idea to have (my pigs love it!) but they also love to run through and sleep in a big pile of hay (in fact, most of the time that they're not running around their cage, they are just lounging in the hay!). Maybe try stuffing the hay ball and also leaving a pile for him to nest in? :) I used to just have a store bought cage too, for my single pig before I found him a buddy, but since building a c&c cage I've found he's much happier and more active. Like other people have said, they're not expensive and pretty easy/quick to set up. I think I was mostly done in under and hour! Good luck with CC, I'm sure he'll warm up to you more as time goes on :)

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Once the hay ball gets here, which should be as I completely clean up his cage and add in the new bedding. I used a sample package of the pellet type. Worked well, but when CC would scamper, was all over the place. His cage is going to get a slight remodel this week when I do the clean up, so a hay nest will be included too. My sisters have a 2 year old guinea pig named: Blossom. She's a white albino asky and she just has an open top cage. She's very happy in it when I visit them which is rare since they live in Ohio. Cookie is getting ready for bed, he's cuddled in his cylinder right now. THat means he's about to call it a night, just like me. I work at 6, so I'm off to bed. Talk to you all later.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Welcome Ryan! Congrats on your cavy, and good luck with your new job. Sounds like CC is getting to know you very quickly!! We use carefresh, but she still might kick it all over the place. Keep the vaccum handy! There are some great threads on this forum about which veggies people feed and health problems that can come up in the first few weeks. And don't forget to visit the photo gallery! Sweet Dreams.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
YOu will want to think about adopoting your piggy a buddy, go to www.petfinder.com

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the site. Always good to see a new member joining =)

How much hay do hay balls carry? I'm picturing them to be small but I don't know. If you want to keep the hay tidy then get a hay rack (which can easily be made from a bent grid). It's good that you're looking for a buddy for CC

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Wow sorry, I completely missed the part where your thinking of adopting. Heh, now I feel stupid(er)

Teria

Cavy Slave
Hi Ruby, welcome to the forum! You can prevent the hay and bedding flying all over the place by fastening clear plastic sheets (don't know the right english word, sorry) at three sides of the cage. this way, you shelter your pigs from draught, too.

Here's a picture which shows the plastic in the background (they were still in their old cage then, now they have LOTS of space).

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ruby? Its ryan! I think you may mean perspex

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Teria, what is that white stand? I like it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.