PDA

View Full Version : New Cozy Bed Instructions

GPigsRSweet
06-09-10, 08:27 am
After posting a picture of this cozy in the photo gallery a couple people really seemed to like it, so here are the instructions:

Cut these out of fleece:
~2 circles w/ 13in. diameter
~1 rectangle 34in. x 9 in.
~1 rectangle 6in. x 30in.

Sew the two circles together and make a pillow. Then, fold the two rectangles in half, sew almost all the way around, flip them inside out, stuff them, and sew them up.
You should have two long rectangles and a pillow all stuffed up.

Then, sew the pillow and larger rectangle together. (Hand-sewing would work best) Then sew the smaller rectangle on top of those two.

Voila! A new comfy piggy bed!

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/518/medium/100_5175.JPG

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

teamsfm
06-09-10, 10:55 am
That is so cool. Thanks for the instructions. I'm just kind of learning how to sew and I love "practicing" with chin and piggy stuff. Stupid question but how so you cut a circle? I thought about tracing something but can't think what will work. Any suggestions?

GPigsRSweet
06-09-10, 11:18 am
Glad you like it! For a circle, I just measure, cut slowly, and keep measuring all the way around while I cut. It's not a big deal if you're off a bit. You could use a bowl or something to trace if you have something the right size.

mmas4
06-09-10, 11:48 am
That is so cute. Im going to try to make that.

frillint
06-09-10, 02:45 pm
I guess I am going to have to learn to sew. Is it hard? What are you stuffing it with?

Flssgrl
06-09-10, 03:22 pm
Wow GPigs, there you go again! Love it!

frillint
06-09-10, 03:26 pm
I know its amazing!!

Feeorin215
06-09-10, 04:43 pm
That is so cool. Thanks for the instructions. I'm just kind of learning how to sew and I love "practicing" with chin and piggy stuff. Stupid question but how so you cut a circle? I thought about tracing something but can't think what will work. Any suggestions?

I use a skillet lid. You know, from a pan. I trace it with sharpie/chalk/a pencil and then cut. It works really well!
lol

fresian.m
06-09-10, 04:50 pm
I need to learn how to sow. Badly. My grandma is a big sewing person, so she has a ton of material. I'm going to visit my relatives this summer, I'll make her teach me. :)

GPigsRSweet
06-09-10, 05:14 pm
I guess I am going to have to learn to sew. Is it hard? What are you stuffing it with?

It's somewhat hard(hand sewing). Machine sewing is pretty easy, but it's a little harder by hand. I use Poly-Fill stuffing. Works great!

frillint
06-09-10, 05:19 pm
Maybe I can get my grandma to make it. :) She is a big sewer. Or she used to be I'm sure she could do it. She has tons of time.

GPigsRSweet
06-09-10, 05:22 pm
Maybe I can get my grandma to make it. :) She is a big sewer. Or she used to be I'm sure she could do it. She has tons of time.

Grandmas, you've gotta love em'! :) Always have time on their hands for the grandchildren. That's a great idea!

frillint
06-09-10, 05:30 pm
Yes, I am sure if I print the pigture out(if that's okay) and the instructions that she will be able to figure it out.

GPigsRSweet
06-09-10, 08:24 pm
Yes, I am sure if I print the pigture out(if that's okay) and the instructions that she will be able to figure it out.

Sure, go right ahead. Let me know if she has any questions.

CavyLuver516
06-09-10, 08:40 pm
It actually looks like a couch! You are so creative, GpigsRSweet! Thanks a bunch!

Julip
06-20-10, 07:06 pm
Aww, how cute!
I have never sewn anything in my life, but I think I will start for the sake of my piggies.
New cage coming in soon, so I will have to start making cozies and things for them.
I'll try this!

guineapig67
06-20-10, 07:15 pm
Aww how cute! I will use those for my new pigs!

CavyMama
06-20-10, 07:17 pm
Wow, very creative! I wish I had some sewing ability. How would something like that do in the washing machine?

GPigsRSweet
06-20-10, 08:06 pm
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

How would something like that do in the washing machine?
So far it's held up quite nicely. I haven't had any problems.

Snickers seems to have "claimed" this couch/bed as her own. I imagine it must be comfortable; I'm starting to want to giant-sized one for me!

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/541/medium/snickersoncouch_01.jpg

fresian.m
06-20-10, 08:33 pm
Aww jeez i REALLY wish I could sew!

zozobear2
06-29-10, 07:53 am
I love this idea! All I need now is fleece!

CavyTimothy
08-06-10, 03:20 pm
oh my gosh that is amazing, I'm going to have my mom make me one of those! Great idea if i could i would give you a 10/10.

Pigluv
08-06-10, 03:23 pm
I don't know why I haven't commented on this yet, but this is so cool. My girls would be all over that If I made one. :]

GPigsRSweet
08-06-10, 04:59 pm
Thanks everyone, this has been a great cozy in the recent hot weather. It still seems safe enough, but it isn't covered. Oreo has especially been laying on it:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZIoiltFYCb8/TFMT-a7rsaI/AAAAAAAAAyg/ZBIgMOIxzJk/s640/None.jpg

sdpiggylvr
08-06-10, 05:16 pm
That is so extremely cute! I will just have to make a few for my pigs. About how long did it take you to sew these?

GPigsRSweet
08-06-10, 06:05 pm
A while. :o But that's because I'm an awful hand-sewer, and I had to sew each piece together by hand.

michellexgix
08-12-10, 09:29 am
Do you think you could stuff it with cut up fleece or would it not be as comfy? I would be scared that the guinea pigs would get through to the stuffing and eat it. Also I think it would be better as you can just pop it in the washing machine then.

What do you think?

GPigsRSweet
08-12-10, 11:23 am
It would take an awful lot of fleece! If you do a good job sewing, they shouldn't be able to get to the stuffing, and I put mine in the washing machine.

I think it's possible, but I'd just go with the stuffing.

cam767
08-12-10, 06:08 pm
I saw this a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to try it. I found the instructions to my sewing machine a couple of days ago (this should show you how "well" I sew) and cleared a space on the table. I had some left over stuffing from a project I attempted a couple of years ago for my ferrets. I got some fleece on sale at a local drug store ($1.99 for a 50x60 blanket) so I'm good to go. Now if I don't sew my fingers to the fleece I should be all set. lolol

brindyzoeycandy
08-12-10, 07:47 pm
I finally learned how to sew (thank God, because I was getting very jealous seeing people with their amazing cozy designs), and I started making one of these - but I don't know what to stuff it with?

GPigsRSweet
08-12-10, 07:58 pm
I used Poly-Fill stuffing from Walmart. I got a good-sized bag for $3.

Cogni
08-12-10, 08:13 pm
That is REALLY clever!! It looks like a big armchair. And she looks so regal sitting in it. Like a little queen, or A-list movie star. The close-up photo is quite a glam shot!

LightningPig1
08-25-10, 03:32 pm
I just bought the fabric to make this and have sewn the circle and rectangles and have stuffed the circle already. How do you stuff the long rectangles? It's so hard to get the stuffing to the bottom, how did you do it?
Anyways, I can't wait till it's finished! It's such a great idea!!! The pigs are gonna love it! Thanks GPigsRSweet :)

guineapig67
08-25-10, 03:38 pm
That picture of Oreo is so adorable!!! I wish I was gifted to sew, but Im really bad. Those look soft, and would do good in one of my pigloos.

GPigsRSweet
08-25-10, 04:11 pm
I just bought the fabric to make this and have sewn the circle and rectangles and have stuffed the circle already. How do you stuff the long rectangles? It's so hard to get the stuffing to the bottom, how did you do it?
Anyways, I can't wait till it's finished! It's such a great idea!!! The pigs are gonna love it! Thanks GPigsRSweet :)

I just kept pushing it from the outside, guiding it down the chute. :) Took a bit of effort because it's such a small (and long) rectangle! Glad you liked the design! Thanks guineapig67!

LightningPig1
08-25-10, 08:42 pm
I just kept pushing it from the outside, guiding it down the chute. :) Took a bit of effort because it's such a small (and long) rectangle! Glad you liked the design!

Thanks!:cheerful: It really is hard. The tube is so skinny! This will be my first sewing project! Making stuff for the pigs is such great beginner practice!

GPigsRSweet
08-25-10, 08:58 pm
If you have something long and skinny (like a dowel), it helps to poke and push the stuffing down. Good luck, I hope it turns out well! Post pictures. :)

LightningPig1
08-25-10, 09:12 pm
Maybe a yard stick? I don't have a dowel. Thanks! Me too. Did you hand sew the whole thing or just hand sewing the pieces together? Oh yes, I will post pictures!

Bella_and_Rosie
08-29-10, 10:09 am
SNICKERS!!!!!! thats is such a cute name and he (or she?) is sooooo cute!!! I love him/her!!

GPigsRSweet
08-29-10, 12:11 pm
LightningPig, I just hand-sewed the pieces together.

Thanks Bella_and_Rosie! Snickers is a girl.

Deb's4Pigs
08-29-10, 01:57 pm
I just saw this thread. I'm sorry I missed it. I don't have a sewing machine so I'm going to have to try and find the time to try and make one. Or two. Thank you.

GuineaLove
08-29-10, 07:34 pm
I love this bed. I have made 2 now but only one of them looks somewhat like it is supposed too. lol I guess I need to practice and make more. Seriously, this is a wonderful bed. Thank you for sharing with us.

GPigsRSweet
08-29-10, 08:15 pm
Post pictures! (at least of the one that turned out!) I'd love to see them!

trexgorawrrrrr
08-29-10, 08:28 pm
I almost am done making one! I actually have enough cutouts for two, but I was using one as a template. If I like it enough, i'll just keep the other set as a template so I don't have to measure whenever I want to make one! I can't wait till mine is finished since it's the first thing I'm making for my GP besides a fleece bedding.

Once I get one finished I'll have to take a picture! I was thinking about not turning the rectangles inside out so that there is a seem to sew with. I was thinking it would be a little easier, what do you think GPigsRSweet?

GuineaLove
08-29-10, 09:40 pm
Post pictures! (at least of the one that turned out!) I'd love to see them!

I will if I ever figure out how to post pictures on here. My family calls me technology challenged. Sadly they are correct.

Your pattern is really fun and simple to make. Thank you. Now I want to make a bunk or tent of some kind to put it in.

lalallama
08-30-10, 12:49 pm
I tried making it with a cotton fabric, stuffed with the spiderwebby stuff you buy for halloween, and it turned out a bit deformed. But my pigs love it, and spend lots of their time lying on it, so thanks for the instructions!

GuineaPigJoy
09-03-10, 01:43 pm
Aww jeez i REALLY wish I could sew! I agree Emmy! I cannot sow for my life. Although, I can sow my daughters shirts when they have a hole in it but I can't sew a bag for nothing!

brindyzoeycandy
09-05-10, 05:57 pm
So, I made one of these - it didn't really turn out that good (no where as good as yours), but the pigs don't seem to mind. I'll try and get a pic of it with one of them lying on it :)

LightningPig1
10-31-10, 01:18 pm
I finally just got back to this project, I've been so busy! Anyhow, Lightning loves it! It came out different then yours and a bit lop sided but hey, it's was my first sewing project! Here are a few pigtures of it (and Lightning!)-

Thanks so much GPigsRSweet! I absolutely love this idea! you are so creative!

GPigsRSweet
10-31-10, 03:48 pm
That's awesome!! I love the color, I'm a big fan of lime green. :) Lightning's a cutie!

sdpiggylvr
10-31-10, 05:10 pm
Ok, I made this but it didn't turn out nearly as good as yours, Lightning. I didn't know you had to fold the rectangles the long way, not the short way. Sooo it turned out kinda bad, but oh well. I'm almost done, will post pics. :)

LightningPig1
11-01-10, 06:47 pm
Ok, I made this but it didn't turn out nearly as good as yours, Lightning. I didn't know you had to fold the rectangles the long way, not the short way. Sooo it turned out kinda bad, but oh well. I'm almost done, will post pics. :)

Please do! It'll be interesting to see how it's like! :)

lindsschou
11-01-10, 07:14 pm
I'm buying a sewing machine just to furnish my piggy mansion. Awesome pattern, looks like a nice padded lazy boy chair

sdpiggylvr
11-13-10, 12:04 pm
Here's a slightly modified one that I made, with Guido modeling it for you. :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5172491182_7e36939b8a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5172491182/)

It's really bad, but oh well. It was fun to make.

LightningPig1
11-13-10, 01:39 pm
Uggh! For some reason it's not showing up on my computer! But don't worry, it's not you, it's my computer, it always does this. It'll always show a thread for example like, here's henri- and here's a pic of lanie or something like that and they never show up! And then I'll see responses under that, oh their so cute! So I know it's just my computer. But sometimes it really annoys me! I really wanted to see how yours turned out! But oh well. I bet Guido loves it no matter how it looks.

sdpiggylvr
11-13-10, 04:53 pm
LightningPig - Here's a link, does that help?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5172491182/in/photostream/

If that one doesn't work, try this one:
http://flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/tvby75

Cogni
11-13-10, 04:59 pm
Guido is a little cutester! His white coloring contrasts so prettily with the
red cozy! Ooooh that cuddler-in-the-cuddle-cup!
I'd like to get a floppy cozy like that, it looks so perfect for lap-time. The more chair-shaped ones are cute for cage furniture.

LightningPig1
11-13-10, 05:00 pm
My mom has parental controls on the computer and doesn't allow me to go to flickr. I know, it's crazy. I can go to photo bucket though. It normally works if you put a picture in your gallery or in a album on this site. Thanks for your efforts! I feel so bad that I can't! I'm sorry!

sdpiggylvr
11-16-10, 07:47 pm
I'm going to try to make a better one. How exactly do you get it to not be so floppy? And look more chair-like? I'm such a newbie with sewing. :(

It was hard for me to hand-sew because it was so thick from the scraps I used as stuffing. Would it be easier to hand sew together if I used actual stuffing, do you think?

GPigsRSweet
11-20-10, 09:14 am
Yes, in order for it too be firm, you'd probably need to pack in a lot of real stuffing. I'm not sure how much easier it would be to so, but I would think it would be easier since it wouldn't be thick.

Guido is adorable!!

mona_caramelo7
01-16-11, 10:55 am
Once again great idea!

Cocoacavy
01-16-11, 11:30 am
Oh my goodness- Gpigs- STOP POSTING THE pictures because you are making me super-jealous!! stop.. please...
Haha, you know I was just kidding around, right? I really can't figure it out- I mean how to sew it together....

Great job! I love your creative thinking too! I just wish I were as smart and creative as you...

Rnd210
01-16-11, 11:34 am
Oh my goodness- Gpigs- STOP POSTING THE pictures because you are making me super-jealous!! stop.. please...
Haha, you know I was just kidding around, right? I really can't figure it out- I mean how to sew it together....

Great job! I love your creative thinking too! I just wish I were as smart and creative as you...

The easiest way to sew it together is most likely the criss-cross hidden stitch.

Cocoacavy
01-16-11, 11:35 am
The easiest way to sew it together is most likely the criss-cross hidden stitch.

Well, I knew that, it's just putting it together- but I already got that figured out too. Thanks anyways!:):)

jenga122
01-16-11, 11:43 am
Here is my attempt at your cozy bed. I actually made it just a little bigger so all the piggies could fit on it. We call it the cozy couch. I added 3 stitches through the middles to keep it from getting too puffy. Thanks for the tutorial. The piggies love it. Here is my youngest kid feeding Christy a fresh green pepper.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jenga122/IMG_0467.jpg

carlei120
01-16-11, 02:35 pm
Do you sew with a sewing machine or by hand? By the way I love the cozy I might have to make one for my piggy!

Onetwo
01-16-11, 02:45 pm
Holy Cow Jenga! I want to order 12 HAHA....

jenga122
01-16-11, 03:37 pm
I will do it a little different next time. The hand sewing of the back rest to the main pillow is what was tough for me. My wife says that I am becoming quite the holly homemaker for the piggies. lol

It does give you a sense of accomplishment seeing the piggies using something that you made by hand though. Of course it is quite humbling when they jump up on the couch and use it as their litter box. :( Little buggers don't know how hard it was for me. LOL.

friddee
03-27-11, 07:56 am

take a pen that youre going to draw with, and another pen to hold in your hand,then take a thread thats a little longer than of the diameter : 2 of the bed and knit the ends to the pens so that the distance will be exactly diameter : 2 and put the pen on the fabric, and suspend the the thread and go all around with the other pen marking and you have a neat circle in the diameter you wanted. hopefully you understood. lol

jenga122
03-27-11, 08:35 am
I do exactly as friddee said but I steal a piece of my kids chalk and use it. It seems to write on fabric better for me. I am sure they make something you can buy to write on fabric but who wants to spend money when you don't have to. :-)

PooTrishy
03-30-11, 09:40 am
Just book marked this so I can come back to it when my ordered fleece gets here! Super cute!

Kim37040
03-30-11, 10:14 am
I know what I am going to be doing this weekend!
What a cute idea! Thank you for sharing.

George and Patch - Guinea Pig Fun on USTREAM: . (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/george-and-patch---guinea-pig-fun)

lillypearlandme
04-23-11, 10:16 pm
Great! I LOVE this! Now, all I need to do here is suck up to my mother and get her to sew this...

cavyluvr
05-03-11, 02:15 pm
Okay wow gpigsrsweet you are like a guinea pig bed genius!! I just have to learn how to sew so I can make this for my girls. Also snickers is super adorable and she looks sooo comfy:) Thanks for the instructions!