PDA

View Full Version : Genitals Swollen vaginal opening?

MBlight
06-08-10, 02:14 am
I got two new piggies from a rescue over the weekend but they had only been there for a day so they couldn't really elaborate with regards to their health issues, I have a vet appointment booked for Friday but I noticed that Sonja's vaginal opening seems a bit swollen. Is this normal, could she be in heat? Or is it something I need to worry about?

lissie
06-08-10, 02:58 am
Can you post some pictures?

foggycreekcavy
06-10-10, 09:17 am
Sometimes a swollen vaginal area means that the pig has a bladder stone. Does she cry or show any pain when urinating or pooping?

MBlight
06-10-10, 11:50 pm
I took her to the vet who did a whole bunch of tests and x-rays on both cavies to make sure they were fine. Both came out with a clean bill of health. She doesn't show any pain while urinating, in fact, she showed my husband that she was quite comfortable with it when he was holding her the other day! (he, of course, didn't heed to her warning nibble). So I think I might have just been paranoid at the time.

Something I have considered though, I've noticed with my female rat that when she goes on heat her's swells up a little as well. Could it be possible that she was just on heat?

Gracespigs
06-10-10, 11:55 pm
I noticed when my females are in heat, they swell. I can easily tell when they are in heat, they coo all day long, even walking around their cage, lol.. But, we have noticed they do swell down there. I just had mine to the vet and the emergency vet several times for URI/UTI, he told me too, hers was swelling from heat, not from her UTI. She has been over it for a few weeks, but I noticed they both do this when they are in heat. I am glad you brought them to the vet, always your best bet.

MBlight
06-11-10, 12:28 am
Thanks, that does put me at ease!