Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Marissa's piggies

teamsfm

Cavy Slave
Howdy. I have been doing dog rescue for about 6 years. I have been doing chinchilla rescue for about 1 year. Last week I was asked to take in some guinea pigs. My first reaction was "Sorry I can't". My husband is alergic to everyting except dogs and chins. But then I was told the piggies have very little hair so I thought I would give it a try. I love them. 2 girls about 8 weeks old. They do not have names yet but I am open to suggestions. At first I thought they were sick but their mom lookes the same way. They are like my Boston terrier, so ugly that they are cute!! I scored a barly used C&C cage off craigs list the day after I took them in and they love it. I have been doing tons of research and this forum by far is the most helpfull. They were housed with the dad and 2 brothers. Do I need to be on pregnancy watch. I am new to piggies so I am always open to suggestions. So here are some pictures of my girls. I hope you like them.:lovestruc

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Aw you have skinnies.

Skinnies are not hypo allergenic though - so you could still have allergy issues in the near future.

And most people are allergic to the hay rather than the pigs.

Yes, if they are over 4 weeks and still with males, they could be pregnant.

I can't tell on your cage but it looks like the one grid on top is one of the unsafe ones. I'd make sure you have the grids that are 9 squares - and if they are 8 weeks you need to baby proof regardless.

I'd read Allergies too and hop over to www.guinealynx.info

Skinnies can be prone to many things including skin issues like fungus.

teamsfm

Cavy Slave
By the way.... does anyone know about these pigs with so little hair. Any special things I should know? I assume they eat more because my girls eat all the time. The lady who gave them to me had them on alfalfa and pellets and only was feeding them carrots once every other day. I have stuck with the alfalfa because they are so young but when should I start the timothy? I also have tried small amount of other foods. They did not like strawberrys. They loved the apple and the letuce. But I am scared to try to much to fast since they are so young. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I love the nutrition section but would love to know if anyone has experience with girls like this. They may be common and I just don't now, but I can't find them on the internet. Thanks

teamsfm

Cavy Slave
:DThanks for the info rabbitsncavyluv. I am learning so much on this forum! I wasn't sure if they were skinnys or not because they do have some hair in spots. I will research the needs of skinnys. I love the info on veggies I have gotten from the site. My chins can eat very little "people food" so it is fun to have babies I can give veggies to. I will baby proof my cage and keep an eye out for pregnancy. I originally planned to make sure they were healthy and then adopt them out. But NO WAY. If my husbands alergies are okay I will keep them. They are so fun. I can't wait until they are used to me.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Welcome, your skinnies are adorable! You are very lucky!

My brother is allergic to the pigs, and as long as he stays far enough away, or if he doesn't come nearby for a long period of time, he's fine. I hope it's okay with your husband!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Skinnies eat (and poop) a lot more than hairy pigs due to lack of hair and faster metabolism.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new arrivals. Please make sure you separate the males from the females as there is definite pregnancy risk housing them together.

teamsfm

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I just have the 2 females. I am just worried they may be pregnant because the former owner had them in with their brothers. Lets all hope for the best.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ahhh I misread your original post. Sorry about that!

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.