Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece !!Need help fleece not wicking through!!

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
In the next day or 2 I am building a new C&C cage! And i want to use fleece bedding I am waiting for most of my fleece to be shipped however I have some fleece blankets to use temporarily, one of them i am keeping though. I tested the fleece with a cup of water and it just sits up on top! I have washed them 3x

1st time.. I washed it with cold water and air dryed it useing no soaps. (I only did cold because ppl had to take showers, i figured it would at least help)

2nd time I used hot water with no soap and i air dryed

3rd time I washed with hot water, vinager, and used the dryer. (no dryer sheets)

it still wont wick through:?:
im adopting another piggy soon and need this bedding asap.

any sugestions?
all the fleece is 100% polyester
two of the blankets are thinner and the other one is fuzzy (in case that helps at all)

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
Try putting the fleece on top of a towel, and then seeing if it wicks better. Also, the fuzzier fleece in the left of the picture looks like it might not work well.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
Try putting the fleece on top of a towel, and then seeing if it wicks better. Also, the fuzzier fleece in the left of the picture looks like it might not work well.

That is what i do when i test the fleece. The purple fleece is pretty thick, idk if it matters I have herd it does not. But im not going to give up on it because the thin ones are not wicking either.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It just might need more washings. Most of my fleece is very thick and it wicks well.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
It just might need more washings. Most of my fleece is very thick and it wicks well.

lol i hope so...how do you wash your fleece?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You need to wash with detergent at least 3 times for it to strip all the chemicals to make it wick.

The fuzzy fleece won't work though, those are called plush fleece. They don't wick.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
You need to wash with detergent at least 3 times for it to strip all the chemicals to make it wick.

The fuzzy fleece won't work though, those are called plush fleece. They don't wick.

wether its true or not I really do not want to use detergent near my piggy, I do not think it is good for them. And i have heard that detergent is supposed to help create its water burrier

lissie

Cavy Slave
Detergent is fine to use if you choose unscented and dye-free.
It gets washed out so you should worry about using it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use laundry detergent and a cup of vinegar.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
The procedure is washing t hot and drying it hot in the dryer several times before it will wick.

I use my regular detergent (less than i would use on my other laundry) and a cup of vinegar. I dry it as hot as i can in the dryer.

You haven't followed the directions. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but air drying was not in my instructions and I definitely think that washing it cold is ineffective.

Try following the instructions and you will have more success. Also, the fleece on the left seems very think, I am not sure it will ever work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.