Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Burrowers and chewers

• Thread starter Lil Fella's Mom
  • Start date

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
My two rats have adjusted well and their URI is healed. Occasional sneezes can be heard but not more discharge or permanent sniffles.
It was amazing to see how well they train. The vet tech showed me how to scruff them to hold them still without hurting them. They were fighting with the meds at first but after 2-3 days the procedure was easy as pie.

I have a little issues with the boys. Dale in particular is a cage re-arranger. I have two levels of cage with two half level shelves. The bottom is lined with Critter care (like carefresh) and shredded paper. The second level has towels and two small kitty litter pans. The half levels have towels and a small dog bed on them.

Dale likes to move things around and burrow which is perfectly fine and I am sure normal behavior. Also normal is the chewing. He has eaten a hole in the dog bed and shredded two towels. I am not worried about him eating these pieces because I find them on the floor and in the cage every morning.

My problem, I keep loosing towels, can anyone suggest anything that the rats won't shred? Can I give them something to chew that is less destructive? The second level doesn't have a pan like the bottom (hence the towels and kittty litter boxes). Is it ok to maybe make one out of coroplast or will they chew through it?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Unfortunately with rats, once you have material chewers you have material chewers. No material is 100% safe from extreme chewers. I use felt or fleece with my mice, but my friends rat shredded their fleece hammocks that I got for them.

Also, coroplast is fair game.

My mice did this in the space of 24 hours to their base

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/mice/Photo0682.jpg

Sirene

Cavy Slave
When I had my ratty, back as a teenager, I used to give him pieces of old sweaters. He'd shred them up and make nests. Once a particular nest got soiled, I'd remove the shreds and give him another piece. I don't know if this was a safe thing to do (it was 20 years ago, pre-Internet!), but it was a good way to use up old clothing and give him extra nesting material. Maybe you could give him extra pieces of old towel or clothing/blankets (even buying from Goodwill or garage sales?) specifically that he could shred?

(I suspect he may also chew plastic - mine pulled my Swatch watch (told you it was a long time ago! lol) through the bars of his cage and ate the strap...)

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. I had already suspected this. I am not worried about safety because Dale isn't eating the pieces.

I guess I will just have to look for lots of towels at yard sales and goodwill. Since the piggies are on fleece, I am running out of towels quickly. Each human has exactly two bath towels, all other towels have been given to the animals lol.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I give my rats a nest box, its just a cardborad bow filled with shredded newspaper. They like to burrow in it so they shred their hammocks less.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I guess I will just have to look for lots of towels at yard sales and goodwill. Since the piggies are on fleece, I am running out of towels quickly. Each human has exactly two bath towels, all other towels have been given to the animals lol.

LOL. We were the same, until I asked my family and friends to keep all their old towels for me. Now I get all threadbare, worn and "upgraded" towels to use for the guineas. At last count, I have about 30...

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
My rats chew on some of their hammocks and fleece. They perticually(sp I know it's
wrong) like to chew on their cubes.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Luckily my two guys seem uninterested in the hammocks s chewing materials. They do enjoy eating the dog bed and the towels though. The dog bed has a huge hole and I keep finding little cube of foam here and there.

My bedding is a mix of critter care and shredded paper for nesting. I also give them paper towel and toilet paper roles. They really love to chew those up. I can hear them at night going to town lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.