Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay rack experiment

pookczek

Cavy Slave
I used to have Sally litter trained... then Penny (3 months old) came into the pigture, and the litter training has been forgotten and replaced with "letting it fly". Since most of it was around the hay rack, I've moved the hay rack over the litter box.

This is an experiment really, I'm not sure if it will work. I've already had Penny try to jump into the hay rack (I put cable ties on the sides, because I didn't think (broken link removed))

What do you put on top of the hay rack to prevent them from hopping in?

pookczek

Cavy Slave
pookczek said:
I(broken link removed))
I should have mentioned that just as I moved the camera away from the piggies, Penny fell off pretty hard. I was afraid that she was hurt because she just sat under the ramp, and didn't move when I picked her up. She didn't seem to be in any pain when I was petting her - I think she was just startled - when I put her back down, she scurried away.

That's why I want to cover the top :) To prevent any injuries.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
You should make a new hey rack immediately! They can break their backs so easily. I can't think of any suggestions off the top of my head, but check out the hay rack pics on this site.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Cant you just take your rack and place it sideways rather than up. Or leave it the way it is just tilt the top away from them so they cant jump in.

Last edited:

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Try getting a metal basket with holes in it and put it down a little lower. Some pigs just like sitting in the hay rack (*cough, cough* Atticus). Chewie will occasionally jump in it too, thats why I like the basket, it is wide enough to hold their bodies and short enough so they can jump in with out falling.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I like Pennicks idea of putting the hay rack on its side.

I use a plastic basket & fasten it to the side of the cage. It's slanted, so Phoebe can easily get in & out of it. Like so...

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Try getting a metal basket with holes in it and put it down a little lower. Some pigs just like sitting in the hay rack (*cough, cough* Atticus). Chewie will occasionally jump in it too, thats why I like the basket, it is wide enough to hold their bodies and short enough so they can jump in with out falling.
don't the piggies pee in the hay if they are allowed to sit in it?

pennick

Cavy Slave
I know piggies love to sit in their hay and alot of people here recommended it since they eat the hay so fast anyway they wouldnt be sitting in their hay too long. Well I tried it, I didn't like it. They didnt eat the hay as fast as I thought. They did sit in it for about 3 days. When it came time to clean out the cage the bottom under the hay was soaked. What a mess and to think that my piggies were sitting in it and eating it. I prefer keeping the hay off the floor. Sorry piggies.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Try this:

It is what I have done. I zip tie one side so it hinges so I can put hay in it. They pigs don't move it. (It supports my second level) But if you don't have a second level, you can just put hay in the top.

pookczek

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Fortunately, Penny hasn't tried to climb in again - I guess she learns quick. I am going to put a coroplast barrier up to prevent a repeat accident.

I think that this setup works best for us (having the hay rack above the litter box). They seem to do about 95% of their business in the litterbox now, as opposed to the 50% that it was before.

They do have a hay loft, as well, so they can lie down in the hay but they don't seem to care too much about it.

lipglossartist
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
lipglossartist said:
I have this hayrack for sale to prevent just those sort of things. If you are interested, i am selling them for $5.00 (+s&h)

How do they get hay?

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Right, is that hay rack facing the wrong way?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.