Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy 1st (and only) pregnancy at 7 months.

Whooie

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I am new here and I have a question. I have 2 guinea pigs that when I got them we were told they were both girls. Well, one is not. Low and behold our female is pregnant. I would have never intentioanally let this happen but I am ready for the responsibility. Our two guinea pigs have brought such joy to our lives.

I noticed my female was looking bigger and my "other female" was showing signs of being a male. I brought the female to the vet today and they did an x-ray and said they see shadows so they think she has about another 4 weeks or so to go.

The one thing though that scares me is they said that because she is 7 months old she runs the risk of needing a C-section. This vet is new to me, went to them because they are a small animal vet. I know I have read that each pregnancy runs a risk but has anyone here had a pig that had it's first litter 7 moths old or older?

I would hate to have my poor baby need surgery or worse lose her life because of my failure to protect her. Any ones help would be wonderful. Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I don't think you're supposed to give a pregnant ANYTHING an x-ray. Correct me if I'm wrong. Do you mean an ultrasound?
This is a shot in the dark but where are you located [state/region]? The vet who has spayed my three girls specializes in small animal surgery and has a very low mortality rate.

7 months isn't terribly old.. My Natasha had her litter with zero complications at nearly 6 months. I'd be more wary if she was over a year old.

Ask your vet about an emergency spay [abortion]. Ask how many he/she has performed on guinea pigs [how many emergency and how many non-emergency]. Ask how many have died during the surgery. If those odds are something you are comfortable with, I'd say that at this point it would be one of the safest options.
If you are not willing to go that route, I don't think that your pig is going to have much trouble with labor SIMPLY based on her age. Your vet may be overly cautious. Best to be sure you can get to the vet at ANY hour and have them help you if needed.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
The xray dogs all the time to count puppies....
Good luck!

OtterKin

Cavy Slave
When I first started getting into guinea pigs I researched breeding and showing...this site changed my mind, but I did learn alot. In the UK they breed their pigs according more to size, not age as long as they are younger than a year. Generally, this means they first breed their sows between 5-8 months. They have no more complications than USA breeders do with the general rule of thumb in the US to breed before 6 months. Just keep her diet rich in veggies, unlimited alfalfa based pellets and plenty of exercise while she can still waddle around. :) Try not to pick her up in the last two weeks or so if you can help it, if you need to move her get her to walk onto something you can lift her with instead of picking her up from underneath. I think you'll be fine, but try to watch her in labor and if nothing is delivered after 20 minutes of pushing, take her to the vet. Pigs usually give birth at night though, so you may not be able to watch the birth. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can get x rays provided it is early on in the pregnancy?

An emergency spay if the sow is pregnant should be a last resort. Odds are against them usually. 7 months old is not old. Though there are no guarantees regardless of age.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
From what I have read. Seven months is actually about the perfect age for the first litter so she should not have any issues. I would have a vet available if there are any complications. Is the father getting neutered now so he can be with the rest of the family?

The boar should no longer be housed with the sow or he could get her pregnant as soon as the little ones arrive.

Remember, the baby boars will need to be removed from Mom and sisters at 21 days. Dad is a good place to house them.

Good Luck

Whooie

Cavy Slave
Yeah, pups are here!

I came home from work today to find 4 pups! They look good and Momma looks wonderful. I will post photos tomorrow. I am in love!:love:

teamsfm

Cavy Slave
Re: Yeah, pups are here!

:?:Why did your pig have pups?:confused:

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

frillint

Cavy Slave
Glad everything went smoothly

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
wow, congrats. I'm glad all went well.

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures! I bet they are adorable!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Pigtures! Pigtures!

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!! Have you gotten the dad neutered, or are you going to sex the pigs and keep one of the boars for a cage mate?

frillint

Cavy Slave
Agreed Pigtures!

Whooie

Cavy Slave
I added new pictures to my profile. I am in love and so proud of Momma

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Congrats to you and Momma! The pigtures are adorabibble! when I see such baby fluffballs it makes me talk weirdistically. Ooh what cuteroos! Mini-pigs!lol

Can you sex the piggie-pups yet?

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.