PDA

View Full Version : Our new companion

maryjeanw
03-25-05, 11:27 am
In a previous thread I asked for some suggestions on introducing our new 4 month old cavy to the 1 year old (both female).

Here's how they are doing....they are best of buddies as long as there is NO food in the picture. When we have them out together in their playpen where we can see them, they love being right next to each other. The older one will groom the baby and it's so cute.

The only delema we are having is as soon as we put food in the picture, the older cavy will get aggresive if the baby goes near it. She is extremely protective of it's food. We have to feed them in two different areas.

Does anyone have any solutions on how to help her learn to share? Or in time, does it usually get better. It's been 1 week now.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

pennick
03-25-05, 12:12 pm
What is the food on and how big? If its in a small dish, try putting it in something that is very long and big so they are not on top of each other. Also how aggressive is he? Maybe its not as aggressive as you think. Maybe you just have to wait it out.

maryjeanw
03-25-05, 08:25 pm
A longer dish sounds like a great idea. I've tried two dishes and the little one always wants the one the bigger one is using.

The aggression that I see is lots of noise and the older one poking at the smaller one. No blood though.

Thanks for the idea.

What is the food on and how big? If its in a small dish, try putting it in something that is very long and big so they are not on top of each other. Also how aggressive is he? Maybe its not as aggressive as you think. Maybe you just have to wait it out.

pennick
03-25-05, 09:32 pm
Good luck and post how its going.

Slap Maxwell
03-25-05, 11:57 pm
I used one food dish for every two cavies. (But two to start with)