Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties YAY!!!!

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Today at my aunts shelter, My twin Casey asked my mom out of the blue "can I get a rat?" she said "Save your birthday money" I am so excited!! I never thought she would even think about it. But we are getting two rats from my aunts shelter. Magenta and Columbia. I cannot wait! Casey cannot quit talking about it.

What cages are best?
I have done research.
But I respect everyone on this board that knows what they are talking about.
So I wanted to hear what cages are best from someone who knows...Not from google.

thanks if you can help!!:)

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Well, here's what happened with me. I adopted 3 girls from a shelter. I thought they would come with a cage, but they didn't. So, I brought them home, put them in an old bird cage and went out looking for a cage. 5 hours later, I came home with a "Super Pet for exotics" cage. The next morning, they had chewed a hole out of the bottom (the bottom was plastic) and they were sitting with Ronin (guinea pig). No one was hurt, they were getting along well and everything but it scared the crap outta me. So, I called my dad and we had to create another bottom out of hardware cloth. It took us 3 hours and I spent $89.99 on that stupid cage. Plus $15.00 on the cloth PLUS the wire set me back another $5.99..It was so not worth it.

So what I'm trying to say is, don't buy one with a plastic bottom. You might wake up and find yours rats and your guineas mixed.

I suggest going here and looking around. (broken link removed) Plus you could join and ask all the rat questions you want!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Oh and one more thing, I had a cage for them prior to buying this giant thing, but they could squeeze through the bars. I suggest getting either the smallest bar spacing you can find (where you can barely get your pinky through it) or a square mesh type set up.

Here's my cage Small Pet Cage: Super Pet Deluxe My First Home for Exotics at Drs. Foster and Smith

They like it a lot but the whole plastic bottom thing kinda doesn't work

Last edited:

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Well, here's what happened with me. I adopted 3 girls from a shelter. I thought they would come with a cage, but they didn't. So, I brought them home, put them in an old bird cage and went out looking for a cage. 5 hours later, I came home with a "Super Pet for exotics" cage. The next morning, they had chewed a hole out of the bottom (the bottom was plastic) and they were sitting with Ronin (guinea pig). No one was hurt, they were getting along well and everything but it scared the crap outta me. So, I called my dad and we had to create another bottom out of hardware cloth. It took us 3 hours and I spent $89.99 on that stupid cage. Plus $15.00 on the cloth PLUS the wire set me back another $5.99..It was so not worth it.

So what I'm trying to say is, don't buy one with a plastic bottom. You might wake up and find yours rats and your guineas mixed.

I suggest going here and looking around. (broken link removed) Plus you could join and ask all the rat questions you want!

thanks<3

Toadies

Cavy Slave
The general consensus among ratters on this site seems to be that Ferret Nation is about the best cage, even for ratties. The brand also has the advantage of coming in sections, so you can start off small and grow. They're not cheap, but you wouldn't be disappointed. I even used a double Ferret Nation cage for a kitty that needed to be isolated.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
The general consensus among ratters on this site seems to be that Ferret Nation is about the best cage, even for ratties. The brand also has the advantage of coming in sections, so you can start off small and grow. They're not cheap, but you wouldn't be disappointed. I even used a double Ferret Nation cage for a kitty that needed to be isolated.

Thats what I would have went with but I'm poor and I live in a tiny apartment. Both of which kept me from buying one of those. :(

How do they not fit through the bars?

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Oh and one more thing, I had a cage for them prior to buying this giant thing, but they could squeeze through the bars. I suggest getting either the smallest bar spacing you can find (where you can barely get your pinky through it) or a square mesh type set up.

Here's my cage Small Pet Cage: Super Pet Deluxe My First Home for Exotics at Drs. Foster and Smith

They like it a lot but the whole plastic bottom thing kinda doesn't work

that is so weird!! Were getting that cage!!!!!

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Is this okay?

(broken link removed)

your ideas??

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Re: Is this okay?

Looks good to me. Lucky little rats...

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Re: Is this okay?

You all are so lucky! I so wish I could have rats!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have merged your threads. Please keep any further rat questions in this thread instead of starting more. We can all keep track of things better this way.

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
I know nothing about rats but I just wanted to say congrats and best of luck with your future critters.

I also love their names! I absolutely adore The Rocky Horror Picture Show! (Which I am assuming it is a reference to.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.