Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mother Piggy hiding from Babies

Diamond

Cavy Slave
Four days ago my Guinea pig Maxie gave birth.. I notice that yesterday and today she has been jump onto the hidey house to get away from them. The babies walk around looking for her whinning. Is this normal for the mother to do? Should I just let her come to terms with them? Hopefully someone can help me..
Thanks!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
When I started my search for baby girls I went to home where the owner had a mom pig and one baby (he turned out to be a boy). The little guy would get used to going in the pigaloo entrance. The mom would go in, pick up the pigaloo and turn the entrance to another direction. Poor little guy would not know how to find her. She did come out when she felt like it. She obviously needed some "me" time ! He never seemed to suffer any ill effects and got to nurse enough.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Diamond,
are the babies ok? Do they get to nurse?

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I second Duffinvt. I have had one pregnant piggie in my life and she did the same thing. Her three pups would swarm her and she'd go in the hidey with her rump facing out so that no pup could get in. They still grew up happy and healthy. We get tired of our children sometimes, I think pigs are the same way.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
My mama pig Natasha used to 'ditch' her babies to play with their aunties.. she was also known to kick everyone out of her hidey so she could get a nap in here and there. Aside from being terribly inbred, the poor dears, they all grew up just fine.
As long as they are getting to nurse--make sure you see it in action--all should be well. It is not often that a mama rejects ALL of her babies.

Diamond

Cavy Slave
All of the babies seem to be doing fine. One piggy whines alot alone to the side while the others fight to nurse from Maxie. I took the other 3 out for early playtime while Maxie nursed the spoiled piggy.
During play time can Drake my male guinea pig be around the babies? I know he can't be around the mother.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.