Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Zip Ties Removable Zip-ties

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Is there such thing as removable zip-ties? Something you don't have to cut? Or maybe something entirely different than a zip-tie would work?

I'm looking for something reusable for my pigs' play area. The regular ties are great for a permanent cage, but when I want to take apart the grids after floor time, I'm not going to cut each zip-tie again and again.

Any suggestions?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just don't tighten them down so tight -- leave them loose enough that you can fold them up. And don't join all of them together -- leave the ends open. You can fasten those together with clips, bread ties, pins, whatever. That way the grids will fold up in accordion style, and you can set them up in whatever configuration you want.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I love (broken link removed). There are lots of different styles/colors to choose from, just do a Google search. One caution, though - make sure the pigs can't get to them. When I originally tried these to close my "doors," many of them were chewed through immediately.

I still think they're GREAT ... as long as your pigs can't get to them.

shuvit

Cavy Slave
would clothes pegs not be good enough if you get the robust ones?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Too late to edit my earlier post. But when I said "And don't join all of them together -- leave the ends open," I was talking about the grids. Just make one long string of them, and you can put them in any configuration you want. If you need to make a temporary closure, use clips, plastic ties, clothes pins, whatever you've got.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Bpatters, thanks so much! The only problem with that would be that I'm hoping to bring the grids outside for their outside playtime. Therefore, I'd want a top on it. I'm not sure how I'd do that.

Paula, thank you! That's a great idea! I'll have to see if I can find something like that at a local store. Where did you find yours? Did you buy them online?

Shuvit, I'm not sure what clothespins you're talking about. Do you have a picture?

Thanks again for the ideas!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I got mine online but you can also get them at electronics stores. They're typically sold for binding and holding cables.

shuvit

Cavy Slave
Picture of a clothes peg:

(broken link removed)

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
One option for a pen you could take outdoors and cover is the Large Clean Living playpen.

GuineaPigSupply.com. Ware Clean Living Small Animal Playpen, White

We use this when we are cleaning their cage so they have room to roam around. You can also buy the Floor cover, which can be used over the top, instead, to shield the sun.

Another option would be a tarp to cover your gridded structure. Just secure it over the tops with clips or ties.

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Release cable ties.

Suzq5542

Cavy Slave
I love (broken link removed). There are lots of different styles/colors to choose from, just do a Google search. One caution, though - make sure the pigs can't get to them. When I originally tried these to close my "doors," many of them were chewed through immediately.

I still think they're GREAT ... as long as your pigs can't get to them.

I agree with Paula. These work great. I have found that Stop and Shop in my area uses these on their lettuce so if you have one around you just go buy a head of green leaf or whatever and youll get the single strip of it. You can cut it in half or how ever many times you can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.