Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Help! One of my pigs shedding more than the others

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I don't know what's wrong with my Pikka, she shed more than the others. When I pet her she shed lots of hairs (and it makes me feel very uncomfortable), and it looks like she makes it as her weapon to make me not pet her. Her cage collects hairs more than my boars cage. I've already checked my pigs for lice, mites and fungal. And they don't have any of those problems at all. I also checked is there any possibility of ovarian cyst, and she's perfectly fine.
She's abyssinian, ever gave birth once (about 5 months ago). She's the most skittish one, and it looks like she easily get stressed than the others. I give her same foods with the others. Good amount of veggies, 1/8 pepper daily, 2 spoonful of C.P pellets, unlimited timothy hay. Is there something that I could do about it?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is it just shedding or is there any hair loss, bald patches? Bilateral hair loss on the sides/trunk warrants a vet visit since that's often a sign of ovarian tumors/cysts. Did a vet rule out all of the things you mentioned or did you do the examination?

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
Is it just shedding or is there any hair loss, bald patches? Bilateral hair loss on the sides/trunk warrants a vet visit since that's often a sign of ovarian tumors/cysts. Did a vet rule out all of the things you mentioned or did you do the examination?

No bald patches at all, I think it's pure shedding.
They've been taken to a vet and the vet said they're in a good condition. I've even asked for an ivermectin treatment just in case they have a lice/mites.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Mites can be hard to diagnose, since they can't be seen and often don't shown up in skin scrapings. I think it's best to treat for mites anyway, using the treatment plan at Guinea Lynx.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I freaked out when my piggy Lightning started shedding like crazy. I could even pull out ten hairs at a time if I wanted to with not much force at all. But I didn't of course. This is just normal. Piggies have there shedding time of the year and it happens the most when it's the piggies first winter. I don't know if this is the same case as yours but this does happen with guinea pigs especially on their first winter.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Your case could be worse but that was my case.

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
My country have a summer all years round, so it's probably not the winter. But yeah, the weather recently are pretty strange, very hot in the noon and heavy rain in the evening. Probably it makes the shedding getting worse.
I'll take her to the vet and make sure that she's getting her mites treatment. I really hope it could solve the problem. Thank you all! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.