PDA

View Full Version : the new rats sneeze

Lil Fella's Mom
05-16-10, 04:15 pm
My two new rattie boys are doing seemingly well. the sniff around a lot and when they do, they will sniff, sneeze, rub their noses and move on. is this normal behavior? Could it maybe be the new environment or could they be sick. There was very little info about them from the humane society both because they were extremely busy and because they don't keep very detailed records on their occasional small animals.

Most importantly, I need to know if they need to be quarantined in a different room from my piggies? Do they share common disease?

Feeorin215
05-16-10, 04:43 pm
When I brought home all of my girls they were sneezing like mad! When you have new rats, they are trying to get used to the scent of your place. After a while they will stop sneezing.

But if they have red fluid coming from their eyes/nose, they might have a URI.

Also, pick them up and listen to their chest to see if they are congested.

Lil Fella's Mom
05-16-10, 04:47 pm
There is no discharge and they only sneeze when they go exploring. i think it is a mixture of new smells and excitement. I will certainly keep an eye on it though.

Lil Fella's Mom
05-24-10, 04:44 pm
So today, I took the two ratties to the vet. Their lungs are fine, but they have a URI. The doctor gave them Baytril and another antibiotic with an anti-inflammatory. I have to give both rats .15 cc twice a day for 10 days. This is a two person job. Ratties are not as easy to medicate as my piggies.

Also, my little Chip has a few bald spots on him. He has been getting along with Dale fine, but I am of course not always present. They might be fighting. Anybody have any experience with two fighting males. These two are brothers. In case it is mites, I had the doctor administer two shots of ivermectin, safe is safe.

Feeorin215
05-24-10, 06:03 pm
Rosalie has a URI too. I have to give her meds by myself and it's a chore. I have baytril too.

Deb's4Pigs
05-24-10, 07:43 pm
I used to do the rat meds fight. Now I give them the medicine with either chicken or
turkey baby food on a spoon.

MBlight
06-04-10, 08:13 am
It would maybe be an idea to treat them for mites just in case, but you also get rats that "barber", I have one who's bum is mostly bald, so are his front paws. It normall starts with the paws so it's a good indication.

If it's just hair that's missing, I doubt they're fighting :) how old are they now?

fluffycavy
08-18-10, 05:05 pm
So today, I took the two ratties to the vet. Their lungs are fine, but they have a URI. The doctor gave them Baytril and another antibiotic with an anti-inflammatory. I have to give both rats .15 cc twice a day for 10 days. This is a two person job. Ratties are not as easy to medicate as my piggies.

Also, my little Chip has a few bald spots on him. He has been getting along with Dale fine, but I am of course not always present. They might be fighting. Anybody have any experience with two fighting males. These two are brothers. In case it is mites, I had the doctor administer two shots of ivermectin, safe is safe.

As far as the URI goes it will also help to give your rats Vitamin C tablets once a weeks, They eat a little bit at a time, hide it then go back later.

And for the bald spots, a few bald spots wouldn't be Mites, but Lice. Mites look like chunks of dry skin at the root of the hair and the hair falls out around the shoulders and neck. As for Lice, lice bite the rats causing them to scratch and scratch but not always more then normal. to look for lice. Check under the chin first if there are any sores old or new. Give him a bath with some tea tree oil in it. It kills the lice and sooths the skin. If your rat is light colored in fur you will be able to spot teeny tiny moving spots in the fur around the sores. If it's really bad you may have to Shave your rat ( This was the case with my Rat Charlie, His son Jack-Jack also had lice too but only a 4 individual lice)

Your rat may freak out on you, but he will soon realize what you are doing and calm down.

Here are a couple of links that will help you determine is he does have Mites of Lice

Rat & Mouse Gazette: Medical Corner: What's Bugging Your Rats and Mice? (http://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm)
the Rat Report (http://www.ratfanclub.org/skin.html)

Lil Fella's Mom
08-19-10, 05:37 am
Thanks for your help, but all issues have been resolved months ago. Whether it was mites or not, they were treated by the vet and have thick healthy fur. They also completely stopped sneezing even when I hold them.

I love these guys, they are so different from the piggies. They are tame without me doing overly much. I handle them daily and they now climb out the cage and let me snuggle them up.