PDA

View Full Version : Meet Caramel

DereKL
05-11-10, 11:14 am
Ever since 'meeting' a guinea pig for the first time while down in LA for my niece's wedding last summer, we've been pondering getting a little piggie and started doing some research on them. After losing little Missy (our hamster) a few weeks back, we'd been doing serious research with an eye towards getting a pig later in the summer.

What with one thing or another, we ended up at the local Humane Society on Sunday...

They had one little guy in a cage in the hallway... (Not really their fault, we are in a small town and they only have so much room. They do their best with what they have.) He's four and a half, which concerned us because so soon after losing Missy we didn't want a pet that might not be with us for too long. But... The poor little guy was obviously scared out of his wits. All the noise and the confusion, losing his family, and the scent of all those predators must have been driving him insane. He so obviously needed a quiet and caring home that we had just about talked ourselves into adopting him when the attendant came around and let Brenda hold him - and he snuggled right into her, which pretty much sealed the deal. (Anything fuzzy that snuggles her goes right to the top of her list, no questions.)

Meet Caramel:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4596130617_576c2cab6a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4596130617/in/set-72157623910792455)

Who could resist that face?

He came with a pet store cage, which is obviously inadequate, so we have a 2x5 C&C on the way. In the meantime, we've been giving him his morning and evening veggies in a 'playpen' on the floor to get him used to the idea of large open topped spaces. The first day he pretty much sat in one place, but each time afterward he's been ranging about a bit more and exploring they toys we've put in the 'playpen' so he seems to be getting the idea pretty quickly.

I must admit to being surprised at the incredible appetite he has. That may also be because we've been feeding him a variety (and thus non boring) of fresh veggies and good quality (Oxbow) hay and pellets. The hay he had in his cage was nasty pet store crap and his only feed looked to have been hamster feed.

Speaking of appetite...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1248/4596130281_d1326a618b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4596130281/in/set-72157623910792455/)

This is a look we've already learned to recognize, "is that food? for me?". He must have decided that the camera wasn't a threat, so it might be food.

We took him to our vet last night, and aside from a couple of old (and almost healed) sores on his feet he gave Caramel a clean bill of health. We also had the vet trim Caramel's nails and teach us how to do so.

We're not used to high maintenance pets, but this little guy is so worth all the effort to learn and to take care of.

The plan is to give him a few weeks to get used to his new cage when it gets here, then we'll start looking for a companion to adopt for him.

frillint
05-11-10, 06:33 pm
Awe!! Looks like a light and bigger version of my Darwin.

CavyMama
05-11-10, 06:39 pm
You asked who could resist that face...I answer with a resounding, "Not I!" :-)

So cute! Welcome to the forum and to guinea pig life!

A&A's_Mommy
05-11-10, 07:31 pm
I really glad you gave an older piggy a home. It sometimes a little selfish of people to not want to choose and "old" pet because it might die soon. Older piggies need and want love just a much as younger ones, and I'm glad you realized that. I'm sure Caramel is very grateful :)

PiggyKat
05-11-10, 07:55 pm
Oh my goodness that face is adorable!!!! How could you resist it? I certainly cannot!!
She is precious!

Lady_Magoo
05-11-10, 08:26 pm
You would not know he was over 4 certainly...He may be with you for a few years! I think it is a good idea to ease him into his new home. It is a big change for a scared little piggy.

He has beautiful markings! Good luck to you. I do believe once you get use to a routine they are a joy to take care of, especially if you have a larger cage and that is a very wonderful size! I wish I could make a cage that size! He is very spoiled already! :cheerful:

ojars
05-11-10, 09:51 pm
What a wonderful, attractive piggie! Such a face!

Wheekie
05-11-10, 10:04 pm
You're right about the face! So sweet!

Cavymaniac
05-12-10, 01:16 am
'Who could resist that face?" Definitely not me, he's such a sweetie! :love:Welcome!

ryounce
05-12-10, 05:43 am
Why would anyone want to resist him... You are doing a wonderful thing here keep up the good work...

karenk
05-12-10, 10:01 am
I love the pigtures! He is so handsome!

DereKL
05-12-10, 02:24 pm
I really glad you gave an older piggy a home. It sometimes a little selfish of people to not want to choose and "old" pet because it might die soon. Older piggies need and want love just a much as younger ones, and I'm glad you realized that. I'm sure Caramel is very grateful :)

Sure, he's grateful... so long as the food keeps coming! :D

The past couple of days, I've been giving him treats (a very small helping of fresh veggies hand fed) on the same theory I've socialized many pets over the years - if they recognize you as the bringer-of-treats they're glad to see you and tend to treat you as Alpha even when treats aren't on offer. Well, last night I figured I might have been giving him too much fresh food, so I offered him a piece of hay instead. The cheeky little bugger spit it right out and glared at me with a "how dare you" look!

Suitably chastened, I fetched him a sprig of Cilantro.

I should note in passing, this approach has never quite worked with my Angelfish either. They remain temperamental little divas, equally prone to posing and pouting as the whim takes them.

Kaylie
05-13-10, 08:03 pm
Hello Caramel! Welcome to the forum!

Koernerpigs
05-19-10, 06:00 pm
Welcome! Im very glad you're here and very glad for Caramel and NO, I cannot resist a face like that!
"All my base are belong to Caramel!!"

When you are ready to adopt your second piggy I highly reccoment Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue which is relatively close to where you're located! That is where I adopted my last pair. She can be found on here under the user "foggy creek cavy" and on petfinder: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/WA254.html

I am happy to help in any way I can, especially in the way of Hidey houses, cozies, and other "soft goods." :)

oh! PS all my piggies were adopted older as well!

DereKL
05-19-10, 06:10 pm
I've been looking (on Petfinder) at several piggies at Foggy Creek. I wouldn't consider them close though - over an hour away including the ferry ride. (We're over on the west side of the water.)

Sirene
05-19-10, 08:22 pm
Caramel is beautiful! I wouldn't have resisted that face either! Congratulations on your gorgeous new pigger!