Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

2 new babies for mom to ignore?

estrogenfest

Cavy Slave
Up until a few days ago, I didn't know there was anything "wrong" with my daughter's new guinea pig. I'd never had one before and didn't realize she was shaped wrong and not just fat.

She had her babies sometime in the last hour or so. The babies are just in there not doing anything. Mom is off doing her own thing not going anywhere near them. At some point will the babies start walking around and catch up to her or are they going to die?

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
It has been my experience that babies are up and running immediately after birth. They are usually following mom around. They should be nursing but will also start eating the same food as mom within a day.

You should get a weight on them and mom now and check it daily. Check at the same time of day. Babies might loose a little weight to start out but should start gaining steadily there after.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

estrogenfest

Cavy Slave
Ha ha. I'm pretty sure she just had them when we found the babies because they were still wet and not really moving. She had them in their little hide out house thing. She was running around the cage doing her own thing for a while. I took the house out and she found them - almost like she forgot she had them. Out of sight out of mind?

I'm pretty sure the cuter one is a boy and the other is a girl. We have a smaller cage for the boy to go into in 3 weeks. But we're most likely not going to keep either.

Yes, I have alfalfa. I got it when mom was pregnant.

estrogenfest

Cavy Slave
We're down to one baby now.

My eight year old decided to make a video with one of the babies and killed it (even though I told them to stay away and not even go in the room where they were). I found their house turned upside down and their water bottle moved so high none of the babies would be able to reach it. The video showed Siobhan putting the baby in the food bowl, then burying it and finding it - moving the baby one handed. I think she probably squeezed her too hard and maybe broke her back or something. When I found the baby she was just lying there - able to move her upper body but her back legs didn't move. Within about five minutes, she was dead. I am so upset right now. My other daughters are devastated.

The other baby seems to be doing very well, running all around the cage. Mom seems a little upset.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Gosh that terrible. So sad.
I fostered /rescued a mom and her 1 day old pups 7 weeks ago and the mom did the same thing. Don't worry, she will nurse them and the pups will start to eat the veggies and hay. Just remember to sex the pups after 21 days. Remove any males at that time.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.