Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any Guinea Pig Shelters?

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Do you guys know of any guinea pig shelters in Lake Elsinore CA??

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Once when I e-mailed a shelter on petfinder.com they said you have to be 18 or older to adopt one from the listings, do you know why?? Anybody who has adopted a piggie from petfinder.com please tell me what you did to get it...PLEASE!!!!!!!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They may be saying they only want their pigs going to an adult home. If your parents have given you permission, than look around. I adopted two females from a rescue I found on petfinder.com. I just filled out an application, and my parents came with me when I went to get the pigs.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks slap_maxwell

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The shelters here will not adopt out to anyone under 18. They don't mind if there are minors in the home but the parents need to be the ones who are dedicated to their care.

wuany

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I adopted two females from a rescue I found on petfinder.com. I just filled out an application
Which rescue was it? I see there is one in Durham, CT. I'm in Uncasville. How long is the application process? Did you get the piggy the same day?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I emailed her at [email protected] and asked for an application. I picked up the pigs about 2 weeks later. I wouldn't suggest contacting her until you get a C&C cage.

wuany

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I emailed her at [email protected] and asked for an application. I picked up the pigs about 2 weeks later. I wouldn't suggest contacting her until you get a C&C cage.
I already emailed her before I got your reply. I also asked about volunteering. That way I can have more hands on experience.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Petfinder is great. I just found a local shelter. Looking into finding a friend for CC.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
That is great. I am still trying to convince my mom so I can get a friend for Peanut. I hope it all works out for you.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Peanut is one cute cavy. Hopefully, you'll be able to get a buddy for him. I've found a few places that I've emailed. I'm also checking out a local adoption this Saturday. See what happens. Believe it or not, I think I found CC's brother at a shelter down south. Some similar color, came from a Petco and yes, same breeder.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Great work on trying to get more experience before owning a guinea pig. What an excellent move in the right direction!

RyanR: Do you know how this gp ended up in the shelter? Just wondering about his story. How interesting if they really are brothers and you reunite them!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
The original owner's kids were alergic to him. He's about 4 hours south of me, and her's the even weirder part. My mom's best friend was from there? Stranger and stranger.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
This website provides a very complete listing of Southern, CA animal shelters:

(broken link removed)

They also make a good point that some shelters do not advertise or keep guinea pigs in the main population, but have them in back rooms. So call, call, call. Perhaps a guinea pig is not up front, but in quarantine in the back. Then, you can adopt him and take him home as soon as his quarantine is up!

Good luck!

Ryan: Perhaps your family friend would like to meet your mom for lunch half way between your house and hers. Then she can bring your pig 2 hours of the way! Although, I think its always best to meet your pig first, but this seems a strange situation, being brothers and all...

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Well, bad news, I found out that CC's brother was adopted this afternoon. And they did tell me he was from the same breeder used for Petco stores in IL. So, it seems more then likely, that was CC's brother.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Ryan: Its mixed news. I hope his brother went to a great home. Sorry about that missed opportunity, but I'm sure you will find another guinea pig to adopt. Do you already have the links for websites you need? Or would you like some additional help? CC will be happy with a friend, even if its not his brother!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I got plenty of sites and RAIN is going to be in town on Saturday. I'll find CC a friend, should of seen him a bit ago, he discovered the wonders of the cherry tomato.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.