Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Pet-store cage with C&C playpen

zhouluyi

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I got two boars last week and a cage in the pet-store (3 sq ft), I've heard about C&C cages but I found it nowhere here.

Other day I found a place that sells grids online and I'm thinking on buying 12 of those to make a 2x4 playpen. I still have no luck with the coroplast, but for the playpen I don't think I need it.

My question is, can I keep my pigs in the cage I got and let them play everyday on the pen? Will that keep them happy?

I ask that because I don't have enough space to keep a large C&C cage safe, and where I do have space it is not so safe (I have a dog and a cat). With the playpen, I can use zip ties to hold it together and fold it when not in use.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They need a cage that is at at least 2x4. The petstore cage is not large enough. 3 sq. ft. for 2 boars, you will most likely end up with fighting boars at some point as they like space and are generally territorial.

If you can find coroplast, there are alternatives you can use. You can also purchase enough grids to make a lid to dog/cat proof the cage. Or you can get closet shelving to make a lid.

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
A 3sq ft cage is VERY small - especially for two males. I agree with Ly, a larger cage is necessary.

I have 2 boars and a 2x4 C&C cage. You might try using vinyl flooring/linoleum if you can't find the coroplast.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Hello! I know there is at least one other member here from Brazil. Perhaps you could try posting to ask them where they got their materials/what they used to make their cages?

Here is a link to some pictures of cages made using alternative materials: Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Here are some photos showing how to dog/cat-proof your cage: Cat/Dog Proofing - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Your boys will fight a lot in that pet store cage - it's just not big enough (believe me, I know from personal experience).

Last edited:

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
Stores dont really sell C&C cages and if they do, it's a knock off of the real idea and they usually aren't the best when you're looking to change up your cage and make other options.

You can buy all the materials to make a cage at home improvement stores (Coroplast & Zip ties) and department stores (Grids, linen & random materials).

If I were you I'd look through the closed cages gallery and get some idea's on how to make a C&C with a closed top. Guinea pigs are always active, and are always up for a good run around their cages, so just a little floor time everyday usually won't keep them they're happiest.

zhouluyi

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply, but as I said in my first post I CANT'T have a bigger cage.

The smaller pet-store cage can be left in the living room, and it is safe as when the dog enters we are also present. A bigger C&C cage can't be left there as I have no available space for it, that why I ordered today grids to make a playpen of 11+ sq ft.

I intended for them to play during the evening and/or morning, they will still be left in the cage most of the day, but they will have play time everyday for at least 1 hour. After they play I just fold the pen down and store it away.

About the fighting, I think they are about 3 months old and they get along very well, I think they are brothers as they are almost the same.

Again, I CANT'T have a bigger cage, what I asked is: can my piggies live happily playing in the playpen everyday?

PS: Another question, I have a shoebox in the cage as their "bedroom", do they really need it? They go inside mostly to hide.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
See the banner at the top of the page. It says "Guinea Pig Cages". That means this site is all about appropriate housing for pigs. They will not be as happy being forced to live part time in one cage and then having some out of time cage in a playpen.

You will most likely end up with 2 boars who fight due to the small space of the petstore cage. So no, they will not be entirely happy being in a playpen part time.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply, but as I said in my first post I CANT'T have a bigger cage.
. . . .

PS: Another question, I have a shoebox in the cage as their "bedroom", do they really need it? They go inside mostly to hide.

If you have room for a playpen, you have room for a permanent cage. You just need to dogproof it well. It's not difficult to do. It's not surprising that boars as small and young as yours are getting along well. It WILL be a big surprise if they don't fight like crazy as they enter puberty in a few months in a cage that small.

I assume you're using the shoebox as a "hidey." Yes, they do need something in which to hide. GPs do most of their resting with their eyes open, and they seem to be using it as their bedroom, just like you intended them to.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I intended for them to play during the evening and/or morning, they will still be left in the cage most of the day, but they will have play time everyday for at least 1 hour. After they play I just fold the pen down and store it away.

They need to be able to exercise on their time, not yours. They can't do that in a 3 square foot cage. They will just end up bored and possibly depressed for most of the day while they're in the tiny cage

About the fighting, I think they are about 3 months old and they get along very well, I think they are brothers as they are almost the same.

Right now they're babies but that cage will very soon get very cramped and it is highly likely that they will fight, brothers or not. Just because they may be from the same litter doesn't guarantee that they will get along. Also males go through puberty and they will become very territorial. Some people have had to have more than the minimum 2x4 just to keep them from fighting in puberty and that's significantly more space than a 3 foot petstore cage

Again, I CANT'T have a bigger cage, what I asked is: can my piggies live happily playing in the playpen everyday?

The short answer is no, they willl not be happy. They will be happy while in the playpen, but not for most of the day in the petstore cage. I'm sure that with some creativity and rearranging you could find space for one. A lot of members here live in small apartments and houses and they make space. A lot of members also have dogs and cats and they just make a very secure cage with a lid and and a lot of zip ties.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
If you don't have space for a properly sized cage then you should have thought about getting a different pet. It is irresponsible to keep a pet and inhumane to keep an animal trapped in a cage that is too small. I've seen it compared to a human living in a bathroom, which I find disgusting and very sad.

What do you plan on using for bedding in your playpen to keep them from peeing and pooing on your floor? Why don't you lay a shower curtain under it to make it waterproof, then on top of that put down a layer of old holey towels that are laying around the house. Then on top of that a layer of fleece to keep their feet dry.

Gosh, that sounds like a cage! Put a lid on it. You know, to keep the dogs out. I have 2 large hunting dogs with substantial hunting instincts and just as scary, I have a toddler. Your pigs will be safe with a lid on their cage.

Last edited:

frillint

Cavy Slave
The cage I have my male piggy in is 3ft x 4ft. It's to small for him alone. This cage is only temporarily for him though for about another month or more. You said where you do have the space it's not safe. As others said all you have to do it dog and cat proof it and that space would be safe.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
what I asked is: can my piggies live happily playing in the playpen everyday?

I understand what you are saying and that you want your pets to be happy. Unfortunately, your plan only allows your pigs to exercise, explore and stretch out on your terms and times, not on theirs. The playpen idea really won't work well and a bigger cage it what would be best for them as it allows them to live on their terms--which in turn creates happiness. I'm certain that with a little creative rearrangement you would be able to fit a larger, more appropriate cage, into your home.

Sorry that the answer to your question isn't what you wanted to hear.

zhouluyi

Cavy Slave
People,
I had the urge to click on the minus in most of the replies in the matter of being helpful and tactful.

Let me address your concerns:
1) "If you have space for a play-pen you can have a permanent cage."
Quote from my first post: "With the playpen, I can use zip ties to hold it together and fold it when not in use." I can dismantle a playpen and put it away, just putting it together when in use.

2) "If you have space that is unsafe because of dogs, just dog-proof it."
I have a Dachshund, they are natural hunters and the love to mess around and chew stuff. My dog destroyed a wooden dog-house, removed all the chicken-wire I had in my gate, and torn apart everything made out of plastic. I'm sorry, but NO, I would never let a cage alone with my dog, even if her didn't get to the piggies, she will be constantly messing with cage, pushing it around, and making the piggies streessed. THAT's pure cruelty.

3) "If you don't have space for a properly sized cage then you should have thought about getting a different pet."
If I knew about this earlier, maybe I wouldn't had got them. Unfortunately the recommendations of pet-store sellers aren't very good. If I got the cage they wanted me to buy, they would be living in a taller and smaller cage with wire bottom (for easy cleaning). Since I looked around a bit before buying I knew that most of these things are bad, I just didn't know much about sizes (I thought C&C cages were just a cheap alternative). Had any of you ever had a goldfish or betta in a bowl? That's even worst, because they are living in poisoned water (filled with nitrogenated compounds), I've done that in the past, today I have a 450 liters tank in my living room properly take care of. People make mistakes when they don't have proper information, eventually they learn and correct those, which is what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to solve my situation. Thanks to a very helpful person (in another site), I reached a compromise. I will use the grids for the playpen and make it a closed 2x3 ft cage. I can have that in my house, althought it will be on our way, it will not disturb. Then latter, I might add another floor to make more room for them.

People, you are not being helpful when you trash people like you are doing, you are being rude. As the "informed ones" you are suppose to inform and help (otherwise you shouldn't be in a forum), people are not born knowing it all in advance. It seems that you didn't even read my posts, you just saw "small cage" and started trashing.

I thank some of the repliers that in fact addressed my questions. I got a sheet of coroplast yesterday and my grids (16 grids 1x1ft) are the mail and should be arriving by tuesday.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ditch the store cage, use the C&C for their actual cage and give them floor time for play.

You are not doing them any service by keeping them in that cramped cage. They might get along now because they are small but males in particular tend to be territorial and as they get bigger they will most likely fight more.

As someone posted earlier, if you have room for the C&C as a playpen, you have room for it as a real cage. If you can't find coroplast, use a shower curtain with bedding on top.

Please don't subject those poor creatures to a life in a cramped cage. Would YOU like to live your day to day life in one tiny room where you had to eat, sleep and go to the bathroom all in one place? Where you barely had room to move from one end to the other and oh yes, you have a roommate in this tiny room too.

You are let out once a day to play in a much larger area which makes you happy to have more room but afterward, you are shoved back into the cramped house with your roommate.

What a life!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.