Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mouse question?

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
Today my sister picked up our mouse and noticed a part of her tale missing. It does not hurt the mosue when she touches the exposed tale. Is this going to give her an infection or what. What should we do?

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
A mouse's tail can break off from being pinched in a cage door or a wheel. The tail was probably wounded, deprived of fresh blood, and then broke off. Also, some mice will chew themselves out of boredom. You can clean it with a q-tip and peroxide or Bactin. You may use the "liquid bandage" solutions sold for humans to seal the wound.

Here is a first aid website:

(broken link removed)

Based on our discussions, bubbleguine, I don't expect you'll be taking it to a vet. But just to let you know, it would be a good idea. Also, please check the cage for any dangerous objects that might have caused this injury.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
If you have a wire wheel that could be the cause of it, you may want to invest in a solid plastic one.

bubbleguine

Cavy Slave
We have a solid plastic wheel, no since it is at my sister college now

puzzle

Cavy Slave
When had I some Gerbils the same thing happened to them, I just left it alone and it healed up fine. The mouse should be able to it clean enough, so long as the cage isn't dirty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.