Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Built my first C&C

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
I just finished building the grids on my C&C. 2x5 bottom and 2x2 loft. Just threw the stuff in there for reference. I have coroplast, I just have to cut it still. Ramp will go in tomorrow. Comments? Anything I should change? I will be getting 3 pigs May 16th from a shelter. Either 3 females or 2 females and a neutered male. The blue box is for hay. I have 2 water bottles. Is that enough or should I get another?

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's amazing! Looks great - I want to have my cage design similar to yours when I get my second piggie;)

I don't know if I'm right but I would suggest a water bottle for each piggie. I only know that for boars they each need their own water bottle in separate locations so that they don't fight. But since you're either getting 3 females or 2 females and 1 male, then I'm not really sure. Sorry, lol.

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
I like it, but it seems like it's got a million zip ties on it. lol I needed like 1 or 2 more grids to make a better brace for the loft. I had originally had the loft all the way to one side, but figured out it's hard to reach down into the first floor way under it. Now it's kinda wobbly. I think the shelter I'm getting the pigs at sells grids by the piece, so I'll probably just buy one there unless I come up with another brace idea.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I would suggest getting three or more water bottles. I have three females and they definitely need three water bottles, but we ended up have to buy four for them because they didn't like using one. You need to have the same number of objects (bottles, food bowls, hideys) as the number of your pig so that they don't fight over them. With my girls, we never had a problem with fighting over things like that, but they do tend to eat and drink at the same time, so three of each is needed.

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
Alright, I'll get another water bottle.

Do you think the height of the loft wall is something to be concerned about them jumping over? I did it because I was low on grids and a full height wall would make it harder to reach in with the cage on the dresser.

Tophica

Cavy Slave
I think the water bottle thing depends on the pigs because I have 4 femals sharing between two bottles which they are fine with, but then again mine don't bicker much anyway :).

heather_545

Cavy Slave
if you have any more zip ties you could make the 2nd floor connect half way up the first grid. (I don't think that makes sense). It would be safer and your piggies wont be skittish to go up to the next floor.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
I heard about this # of guinea pigs +1 rule.
So what ever things your have in your cage, hidies, food bowls, water bottles, etc. you add one more so that there isn't any fighting over the stuff.
So like you would end up having four of everything

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
I'll see what they do with 2 water bottles and if it becomes a problem I'll add a 3rd.

I got some free election signs to use for coroplast. Apparently I'm pretty bad at measuring because I had to cut it down further to fit it in the cage... I look at everyone else's cages and the coroplast looks all nice. I don't know how you do it. :p

I also got the ramp built. Just bent 2 grids in an L shape and zip tied them together. What is the best thing to use for the part they walk on? I was thinking just coroplast covered with fleece.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
Oh my I NEVER thought about election signs! We have them all over right now and I do believe we have some people sneaking them into our yard behind our house without permission. We live on a steep hillside that a road goes behind our house that is frequented...We rarely check back there for trash or anything like that (the city is suppose to mow back there due to the guard rail they placed up)...Election signs are an excellent idea! THANK YOU!

2PreciousPigs

Cavy Slave
I love it! I think it came out amazing!

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
Here's a pic with the coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.