PDA

View Full Version : Urine Wall-e!-someone please help!

loveurpetalways
04-23-10, 12:04 pm
Hi, well my youngest guinea pig, for some strange reason, has stopped drinking. He never has been a big drinker but he used to drink a good amount. Now he won't drink at all.
He has always had dandruff, and he has no mites. Both my piggies have been checked for mites, so its not that.
His poop is also smaller. I know it's not Brownie's because when he's on my bed (on a towel) he'll poop and it will be fine.
Could all these signs be because of dehydration?
He eats perfectly fine, and will eat loads of hay just fine. He even has energy and chases his older brother (not actual brothers) around. He sleep and acts normally, except for the non drinking.
What can be this cause, and what should I do to ensure he gets enough water if he wont use the water bottle?

By the way, i use the same water like always, and its been the same sipper ever since he was a baby, so no changes. His teeth are at perfect lenght to!

Help someone :)

Katie_Kutthroat
04-23-10, 12:12 pm
Try feeding him veggies filled with water, like cucumbers.

GizzyandMe
04-23-10, 12:56 pm
Gizzy hardly ever drinks water so I always sprinkle a lot of water on her veggies to make sure she gats water in that way.

Ly&Pigs
04-23-10, 01:26 pm
You mentioned in another thread about your pigs having runny noses. That coupled with not drinking indicates illness to me.

JD In Van
04-23-10, 01:28 pm
I was thinking that too.
I would question if your vet who said they were alright was genuinely cavy savy.
Also you've pointed out they live in a cold drafty basement. All these together make me think Respitory tract infection.

Do you weigh weekly? Has there been any weight loss at all?

loveurpetalways
04-23-10, 02:56 pm
i weigh weekly and all is fine with there weight, no one has lost any and they all seem healthy and veryactive...so .....

Ly&Pigs
04-23-10, 03:06 pm
But two pigs with runny noses in a damp basement coupled with not drinking much STILL signifies that there can be illness going on in the very early stages. If not treated, they will get sicker and sicker and eventually die because if they have a URI, it's fatal if not treated. It's better to be safe than sorry.

CavyMama
04-23-10, 03:57 pm
i weigh weekly and all is fine with there weight, no one has lost any and they all seem healthy and veryactive...so .....

Ly's right. Guinea pigs are prey animals and therefore tend to hide illness very well. The fact that you've noticed symptoms like runny noses, even if they seem very active, means that it's getting to where action needs to be taken. If it's a URI, it's nothing to mess with.

When they were checked by the vet, did you mention the runny nose to them? Did they listen to their breathing? Even if they didn't see anything at the time, symptoms can come on quickly or are hidden until they are a bigger problem.

Even if it's nothing, it's better to err on the side of caution. Is your vet a cavy-saavy vet? If a vet isn't well-versed in treating exotics, they might be missing some red flags.

loveurpetalways
04-23-10, 04:09 pm
Ok, she gave him a full check up. Checked his breathing and runny nose. For some reason when there not in there cage they're runny nose is gone. She said everything was fine, including his breathing and his nose looked clear.
She is an exotic vet, and the only exotic vet I can get to. My mom won't drive on the high way and here in Ontario there aren't many exotic vets so nothing I can do about that. She speacilizes in guinea pigs and has cared for them her self for more than 10 years, i'm sure she know's plenty and knows what she is doing.

loveurpetalways
04-23-10, 07:36 pm
Hey everyone I'm happy to announce that, for now untill tomorrow, my guinea pig cage is in my room (it kinda smells, and my room is really small, so moving back down stairs where a heater will be installed!) anyways, wall-e was drinking! I was so happy to see this, I even bought another water bottle, but he drank and I'm so happy. Maybe he does and I just don't see it. Never the less, both piggies are seeing the vet because my mom cares about them, but still rather have them downstairs, and I respect that now. I'm just happy he was drinking :D
We're also getting a thermometer so we can keep track of the temperature to make sure it's just right.
This has been a happy closing to a day!

JD In Van
04-24-10, 10:11 am
Keep in mind it's not just the temperature in the room but drafts that can be a problem. Make sure they're not on the floor if they were before, as that will help avoid those as well.

loveurpetalways
05-04-10, 08:28 am
Ok, so I didn't know what to name this thread so I named it Wall-e, for reasons because its more than his urine i'm worried about.
I am a very paranoid person at times, and when it comes to my babies/animals, i'm extremly catious. Even the littlest things set me off and get me very worried.
Well, latly wall-e has had smaller poop, hasn't been drinking, his urine smells awful, and so does he because of it, and today I noticed MAYBE some blood in his urine. See I can't be to certian because there was red fleece near by. His urine is white sometimes, but also clear, and sometimes he'll whine when he goes pee.
I have a vet appointment, don't worry an exotic vet :-)
What do you guys think?
He also has dandruff, however he has always had dandruff, ever since being a baby, so it's definitly not mites. If it was i''m sure by now it would have been passed on to Brownie, who doesn't have mite.
Anyways, maybe you can kind of give me an idea of what the vet might say, or do.
As you can tell I am very worried and don't want him going through needles if he doesn't need to, then again better safe then sorry.
Thanks so much to everyone :D

vickyangel3
05-04-10, 08:44 am
Well my sister had a pig who squeeled in pain when he went to the toilet, didn't drink much and had blood in his urine. The vet diagnosed him cystitus - so hopefully your vet can look into that and see if he has it or not.
Dandruff in my experience is not dandruff but surface mites - they don't burrow. Hopefully again a vet can explain and give you the proper treatments.
Hope all goes well for you!

loveurpetalways
05-04-10, 08:56 am
See he's had dandruf since I got him, and I don't think it is, I mean I could be wrong, i'm not saying i'm correct. Wouldn't you think Brownie would get them seeing as they live together. Brownie doesn't have mites, he was at the vet two weeks ago and was healthy as can be.
Could it be dry skin because he's dehydrated?
I hope the vet is skilled at this, other vets have recomended this animal hospital so I hope all is well. The one I usually go to is busy and is only there today unfortuantly, and my mom doesn't dive on the hight way.
Hopefully all is well :-)

Paula
05-04-10, 09:01 am
Whatever it is, if it's been going on so long, you need to have a vet check into it and treat it accordingly. I think that if it were mites, it would have been passed on to cagemates, yes, but his condition might be painful and is most certainly treatable.

As for the bad odor in his urine, that's a fairly classic symptom of a UTI, especially combined with crying while going. The vet will do a urinalysis to determine whether or not an infection is present and might want to do a culture and/or an xray depending on what the physical examination reveals.

loveurpetalways
05-04-10, 09:01 am
My guinea pig cage is not on the floor but on a stand, and the basment is not drafty at all, and now it's much warmer, me and my mom didn't realize some of the vents were closed, but that is fixed, and now I actually spend alot of time down there, and its just right. So all is well.
However today Wall-e is going to the vet, and it's nothing to do with a URI, but I will ask the vet about everything.
Brownie is all nice and healthy and does not have an URI- Vet approved.
I hope all is well with wall-e!

I feel like a bad guinea pig owner :( :( :( I give them the bestest of care, I do everything I can, I give them all they need, why must they get sick. Is it me, what am I doing wrong!

vickyangel3
05-04-10, 09:02 am
Hmmm I don't know - I have had only 1 out of 6 pigs get mites before (I had them all treated just incase) but only 1 showed any signs the others didn't catch it.

I'm not hughly experienced in illnesses etc though - thankfully my pigs have been fairly healthy and I hope it continues that way!

Hope your piggy is fine and the vet can help anways!

loveurpetalways
05-04-10, 09:06 am
The dandruff, I believe isn't mites. I mean you'd think perhaps it would be painful and he'd be scrtaching alot, but he doesn't. He doesn't look like he's in pain, only when he pees. Worst case scenario, the appointment is today and i'll do anything to make him healthy as ever.

I feel like such a bad piggy owner :( it's not fair that they get sick. I feel awful, I do what I can for them, I give them all that they need. Is it my fault? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone for your answers, my fingers are crossed that everything is alright, and not a big vet bill. :P

loveurpetalways
05-04-10, 09:07 am
Whatever it is, if it's been going on so long, you need to have a vet check into it and treat it accordingly. I think that if it were mites, it would have been passed on to cagemates, yes, but his condition might be painful and is most certainly treatable.

As for the bad odor in his urine, that's a fairly classic symptom of a UTI, especially combined with crying while going. The vet will do a urinalysis to determine whether or not an infection is present and might want to do a culture and/or an xray depending on what the physical examination reveals.

I'm guessing it's a UTI to, if it is, what will the vet do?

salana
05-04-10, 09:05 pm
I smushed these two threads into one as they're about the same pig, and his history of not drinking much water is pertinent to his current possible UTI. Please try to keep all his medical stuff on this thread from here on out. Thanks!