Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I finally adopted my little girl today!

Kokopelli

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm new! And, I'm incredibly excited to be here!

I have been visiting this site and others for just over a year, but never joined as it took me until today to bring home my little girl. I was intent on adopting her from a shelter, but the rescue groups and humane societies around here rarely have guinea pigs available. And, while I suppose sites such as Craigslist could have found me a guinea pig sooner, I'd have trouble trusting that the pigs advertised were not purposely bred. Therefore, it took a lot of patience and footwork to be able to bring my precious little girl home today. But, I did. And, here we are!

My precious baby is approximately 6 months old and is beautiful. She is an Abyssinian and has a golden and white dutch pattern. Her eyes are pink. She is absolutely adorable and is sweet as pie, but, as this is her first night in her new home, she is frightened and has remained hidden. She was brought to the animal shelter because her owners outgrew her. She had been an Easter gift for their 3 year old child (they readily stated that they had preferred a bunny, but none were available Easter weekend). And, instead of being responsible owners and keeping true to their commitment to their companion, they "traded" her in for a bunny. When I heard that story and saw her adorable face it became immediately apparent that she was going to be coming home with me. And, I couldn't be happier!

My little pig is living in an expansive C&C cage. In the past year, while I was waiting to find a pig to adopt, I built a large C&C cage and made fleece sets and accessories for my new companion. The cage, in grids, is 3x5 and has a 2x3 second floor. I have a number of different fleece "themes" and tons of toys, dishes, water bottles, and accessories for my dear girl. Despite her difficult start to life, she is sure to have a long, healthy, and happy life with me. Unfortunately, the shelter stated that she did not do well with other pigs and so, for now, she will remain my only guinea pig. But, as time goes on, I will explore the option of bringing in another pig as I know they do best in pairs. While she is not my first guinea pig (in fact, I have had many in my life -- all rescues), it has been some time and I'm just grateful to have found my baby. I love her already and can't wait to really begin bonding with her in the coming days.

As for names, I've not decided 100% on a name. She is, most certainly, a female and I typically like human names for my pets. But, I haven't come up with anything that strikes me between the eyes as of yet. I've considered Kokopelli and Libby, but am open to other suggestions (and I do believe I'll post a thread about that in another portion of this forum). I'm sure I will come up with the perfect name for my new little girl in no time, but, for now, she's just known as "baby." And, an adorable baby she is!

Well, that's all I really have to share about my newly adopted pig. But, I can tell you a little bit about myself. My name's Allie and I'm 27 years old. I live in the midwestern United States with my roommate and our menagerie of pets. I'm currently out of work, but am looking and, amidst that, I am planning on returning to school in the fall to pursue an education so that I can become a vet tech and then, perhaps, go on to become a veterinarian. Animals and their welfare is my passion and my purpose in life -- my pets are my family and every animal, in my mind, is worthy of a life well lived. Each day, I strive to do all I can for animals both in and out of my care and my new guinea pig shall be no exception.

I'm so thankful that I happened upon this site well over a year ago and that it's still here today. I look forward to meeting all of the members as well as their cavies. And, I hope, that together we can give guinea pigs all of the love, care, and companionship they deserve. And, maybe, in the process, we can all continue to teach others about these wonderful, amazing creatures and how special and deserving of greatness they truly are!

2PreciousPigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the board! I am new here so I am sure you know your way around better than I do! And wow, all the preparation, building the cage and all while you were waiting for your perfect pig, I admire that! I will be totally honest, until today when I joined this site, I had NO IDEA about these C&C cages! My girls are in a regular standard cage, hopefully one day we will have the space to upgrade.

Can't wait to see pictures of her!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC.

Love your user name. I am enamored with Kokopelli and the lore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.