Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cows v. Guinea Pig

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
During floor time tonight, my 5-year-old daughter was playing with her cows. For whatever reason she started lining up the cows inside the pigs' play area. I watch her to see what she is doing and pretty soon Gabby is in a circle of cows, confused as all heck. I was going to tell her to pick up her cows before they get chewed on, but stop. Instead I just watch Gabby turn in circles for a bit, making no attempt to escape. It was just like she was saying "Cows! What am I going to do?" She just moved around in the circle not even trying to knock a cow over or squeeze in between two to leave.

On the other side of the "cow fence," Roxie made no attempt to get in or even chew an ear or two. And she is my chewer. We have a big leftover piece of berber carpet we use during floor time because it is the only thing we have found that she will not sit and try to chew to shreds, yet still gives the piggies traction.

Finally I removed one cow just to see if Gabby would leave. She continued to sit there for another couple of minutes before sauntering out like being stuck in a circle of toy cows was no big deal. I just found it amusing that neither pig would even so much as sniff the cows even though both do have somewhat of a curious nature. Cows won. This time.

rsz_1img_1011_1.jpg

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
That is so weird. Who knew that guinea pigs won't cross a line of cows? :D

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Put a piece of cilantro on the opposite side of the cows and you'd probably have a pig stampede!

lissie

Cavy Slave
That is so cute!

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Blackarrow that made me laugh - I guess its like the chicken crossing the road....the Piggy needed a reason to exit the cows. Maybe she liked her personal little circle?!!? Funny though all in all.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I think I will recreate the situation and add a lettuce leaf outside the cow circle to see what happens. Those cows probably will get knocked over.

Heady

Cavy Slave
This made me laugh SO hard! That picture is just hilarious!!

Kareen

Cavy Slave
Smart piggies - cows are wonderful and sweet animals:heart:!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
The situation was so new she didn't know what to do. It is like with ramps. Many piggies aren't going to try them out spontaneously. They need a reason, like food, to go up on the ramp. My piggies walk through very low obstacles they are familiar with like food dishes, but go around some obstacles they could easily walk or jump over, like a fiddlestick ramp lying flat on the ground. (it is usually up like a ramp.) In your piggies case, there was nowhere for her to go around.

I like the image of the piggie roundup, and then the piggie stampede if you bring in a treat. Whoopie-ti-yi-yo, git along, little piggies!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Haha! That picture is priceless!

MBlight

Cavy Slave
That's so funny :p very cute though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.