Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Am I doing everything right?

RRDominick

Cavy Slave
I had rescued 3 piggies almost 2 months ago, 1 boy and 2 girls. They are separated. I also double checked the genders. However one of the girls must have gotten pregnant before I got them, she is actually the mother of the a rescued with her. Anyway, I am very nervous about the coming babies. I give her more vitamin C and alfalfa because I've read that's what they need. She has gotten very large and I'm sure she will give birth any day. Lucky someone is always home, although we could still miss the birth. I am worried about everything going well, I've had crazy dreams about it. Things going well and having 8 pups, to everything going wrong and losing them all.

So is there anything else I can do to try and help everything go well? I have a spare pet store cage to put any boys in she had any and I hope to be able to find them all wonderful homes or keep those I can't. I've never had a pregnant animal before and I want to make sure I am doing everything right. Also I read that I should be able to feel the pups moving but I can't, should I be worried? I don't pick her up as often since I don't want to harm her but I still interact with her and she is still moving around very well.

Sorry this post is kinda scatter-brain, I'm just nervous and typing fast.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I think you are doing great. I'd be freaking too if it makes you feel any better. :)

Don't separate them right away. As mammals, I assume the young pups will nurse for the first 20 days. It's on day 21 that the males can make mom pregnant and that is when you will need to separate. The babies will be able to eat solid foods like hay (alfalfa) and pellets and veggies (you might want to cut them smaller).
If you aren't sure how to sex the babies, you'll need to find a good vet that can do that for you obviously.

Good luck. Remember, she does instinctively know what to do. Occasionally in animal births things do go wrong and they need our help, but most of the time little mommas do a great job all on their own.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.