Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! We are new here!

AnW819

Cavy Slave
Hello,
My name is Ashley and I am 21. I have just adopted a guinea pig tonight. His name is Gremlin! I have owned piggies before in the past, and use to rescue piggies, rats, ferrets, etc.

I have not had a piggie in about 3 years so this is so exciting for me. I am brushing up on piggie info because like I said its been quite a while.

I plan on getting him a bigger cage in about 2 weeks from what I got him with, and I got some carefresh for his cage as well because I have no idea what was being used, all I know is it stinks so it must be ceder, or pine.

He is not really letting me pick him up yet, and won't take carrots from me or anything but I know, this does take time. All I know is I love him to death!!!

I am excited to be here, and learn here!

Meet Gremlin:

Picture090.jpg

Picture091-1.jpg

I am also going to look in to adopting him a friend. The reason he does not have one now is because the woman I adopted him from said he would always fight with his cage mate and she got scared, so I will have to work on this :)

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome.

I'm glad you are going to get a bigger cage for your pig. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help.

all I know is it stinks so it must be ceder, or pine.

If your bedding is pine that's not kiln-dried or cedar, that wouldn't be good for your pig. I'd like to suggest using fleece. With a big cage carefresh can be pricey. Fleece is a great option! Read THIS thread.

Hopefully your pig will soon trust you. Just keep offering food from your hand, and talk to your pig a lot so he can get used to your voice. He sure is cute!

Be sure to read around, especially all the stickies. There's a great amount of info here. Again, welcome!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Congrats!
He's soo cute!

utsarah

Cavy Slave
I love how his ears are two different colors..very cute!!!

You can get a lot of good info here on diet and how to make a bigger cage. You can always keep the cage Gremlin came with for vet visits, etc.

AnW819

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome.

I'm glad you are going to get a bigger cage for your pig. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help.

If your bedding is pine that's not kiln-dried or cedar, that wouldn't be good for your pig. I'd like to suggest using fleece. With a big cage carefresh can be pricey. Fleece is a great option! Read THIS thread.

Hopefully your pig will soon trust you. Just keep offering food from your hand, and talk to your pig a lot so he can get used to your voice. He sure is cute!

Be sure to read around, especially all the stickies. There's a great amount of info here. Again, welcome!

Never thought of fleece...but this seems like a great idea! I will read more into this and most likely go this route...I wonder if I can do this with my rats as well! Hmm...thanks!!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Get him a bigger cage and a friend and he will be so happy!! Also, give him about a week without trying to pick him up or bother him too much. He's scared because he's in a new place. He will warm up to you soon!!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

It's a myth that males will fight - the person likely did not have a big enough cage and got scared at the first hint of normal dominance behavior.

AnW819

Cavy Slave
She did have a large cage, but then when they started fighting she bought another cage and separated them so I don't think it was a money issue, I think it was just her not knowing much about guinea pigs and thinking they were fighting when it was really just them trying to figure out who will be the dominant one.

2PreciousPigs

Cavy Slave
He is so adorable!!! I am also researching the whole bedding thing. Fleece looks like a great option and much more affordable that the store beddings!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.