Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for some new accessories...

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I’m looking for some new accessories because the pigs seemed bored of their current set-up. They each have a pigloo and they have a cuddle cup that they share. There is an oatmeal container tunnel and a cardboard box that is also a tunnel. I have a few other cardboard tunnel things (lots of cardboard, I know), but frankly I am really bored, too.

Are there any suggested accessories I could get that might make their cage more interesting? On the Cozy Cavy site, I saw a few things I liked. Any online retailers that have a lot of cool accessories would be great. All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
I like this place. She makes some really cute things!
(broken link removed)

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I hate to say it, but mine seem most happiest with wide open spaces. The less stuff in there the better. I had toys, and I've gotten rid of everything but the hiddies (that are at the very farthest end) and the hay bin and food dish. Room to roam seems to be the most preferred here.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Just curious - are you a sewer (machine or hand-sewer)? I have some projects that would be fun to make if you are!

victoria07

Cavy Slave
I think getting rid of some of that cardboard and maybe cozies could do the trick. Also when cleaning the cage make sure to rearrange things so it doesn't become tedious.

GpigsRSweet actually i've been searching for fun little projects like cuddle cups for my babies to make. Mind sharing? :)

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Just curious - are you a sewer (machine or hand-sewer)? I have some projects that would be fun to make if you are!

I do hand sew . . . but I have a friend with a sewing machine I could borrow, if needed.

So what are these projects? I'm curious.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave

ShesUniique

Cavy Slave

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Oh my, it's really not that much of a big deal...just a list of all the accessories that are in my cage.

Hanging Bed

This is my pigs' favorite hidey! Here are some instructions: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/54055-instructions-how-make-hanging-bed.html
piginside_01.jpg

Corner House

This is designed using inspiration from the Cozy Cavy. User KoernerPigs makes lots of these. I would have instructions to PM you.

oreoincornerhouse_01.jpg

Corner Pillow

Basically just 2 triangles sewed together and stuffed like a pillow. So, it's just a pillow made to fit in the corner. I'm going to make that today.

Cozy Corner

Very easy to make! Just drape a rectangle piece of fleece through the grids as shown. My pigs like this little corner because it seems like a little "cave".

100_3920.JPG

Bed

Oreo loves this!! Instructions: pretty little things: doggie (or kitty) bed tutorial Go here to see a picture: Oreo in her new cozy - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
It's actually quite easy to make. I made it to fit inside an igloo which seems to be cozy for the pigs.

Curtains

One of my next projects I need to make! It's not really an accessory for the pigs, but more for the cage. HERE is a picture of the curtains I wan to make.

1x2 Bed

This is SO cute! Another great idea: Piggys bed - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Hanging Fleece

I made this curtain-like and my pigs loved laying behind it or running through it! Here's a picture: Fleece Strip Curtain - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Futons

I haven't made this yet, but it looks very neat! All you need is a bent grid and these nice instructions: Quilted Covers for Futons by LilyGrace

Corner Hammock

Instructions: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/53114-instructions-how-make-corner-hammock.html

Hope this was helpful! I know you've already seen some of these, but just thought I'd list them anyways.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pigs always loved (broken link removed)

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
GPigsRSweet,

Thank youu! I have so many ideas now! I can't wait to get started! :D

trekkerpig

Cavy Slave
Here's what I think is best reguarding accessories with cages.

The bigger the cage for the ammount of piggies you have the more accessories you can have. By bigger I mean 2X4 is preferred for two but if you want lots of accessories expand to 2X5.

When you first get your piggies it's okay to crowd the place a little. They will tend to be timid so will probably feel more comfortable with less open empty space. As they get used to you remove toys and so they can eventually get full benefit of the space. This doesn't mean buying lots of expensive hidies. A shoebox will suffice. A few of them around the place in back corners is good and then a tunnel or similar to break up the large empty middle space.

Having a raised kitchen is a good idea. They can eat up there but then come down for snoozing or sleep. Sometimes it's not the accessories or toys your piggies are bored of but more the cage set-up. It's always fun to change it up a little bit. Even if you are happy with what you've got. It doesn't have to be drastic at all. For example with a 2X4 plus a 1X2 kitchen/hay loft. move the side of the cage the loft is on. Or even place it the other way so it's along the long side instead of the short side.

Don't overspend on accessories. If you can make it at least give it a go.

If your guinea pigs are spending too long inside tunnels or pigloos etc remove them for a bit. I believe it's better for them that way.

Rearrange the accessories a little different with each clean. What I like to do is have accessories that match the colour sceme of my fleece. So for my green fleece with animals I have the tropical fiddle sticks and a red and green and yellow striped bed. for my bluey purple fleece they have a lilac pigloo and a soft grey bed and a grey and purple striped fleece tunnel. I have different accessories with different fleece so each time I change the fleece they are getting something different. I have more than two fleece changes so they sort of have an assortment. If you have LOTS of fleece then keep together ones that go with similar colours and then change it around accordingly. If they are ALL similar colours then just change accessories with each fleece as you feel.

Those are my golden rules with cages and accessories. I think they keep things interesting and fun for my girls and the cage always looks nice when everything matches!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.