Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is she expecting?

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Lately, I've been noticing my new piggy Alphalfa is bulging at the sides. Shes also been eating and drinking alot more. I have had her since feb. 27th, 2010 and when we first got her she was 700g at 3 to 4 months old now she is 995g. One time I weighed her she gained 20g in one day! Is she possibly pregnant? I have a male but she hasn't made contact w/ him. Shes furry but when I outline her body with my hands she is really cubby.
I've been giving her Oranges, romaine lettuce, cantoloupe and things like that everyday. What do you think? And if you have any advice it would really help becuase most people on this website have great knowledge on guinea pigs! Thank you all!:confused:

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Where did you get your pig from?

Also fruit should only be given occasionally as a treat since he contains lots of sugar.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
I got Alphalfa from a pet store but this was before I knew that you could adopt guinea pigs and I hit myself in the head for that. And thank for telling me about the fruit.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Petstore pigs are often mis-sexed, sick, and/or pregnant. If you are positive that your girl is a girl, then, yes, it's a possibility that she is pregnant. She may have been housed with a male BEFORE you got her. The only way to know for sure is a trip to a cavy savvy vet.

If you want more information about vegetables, check out the diet and nutrition stickies.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Ok, I will and I am absolutly positivly that she is a girl and surpisingly the petstore housed the pigs in a sorta large cage that was surprisingly well kept. But this doesn't change my mind that adopting is much better than buying.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Fruit daily isn't good. Too many sugary foods can cause obesity and health problems. You need to give the daily staples which are a variety of lettuces, cilantro and bell pepper and then mix in other good veggies. Fruits should not be fed more than twice a week in tiny amounts.

There is a possibility she could be pregnant if you purchased her from the petstore.

I'm also not buying your story about you didn't know you could adopt pigs when you got her because you posted on this thread- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/50718-what-do-i-need.html on Dec. 31, 2009 and stated

Never mind ill go with adopting. Never knew you could do that sound good.
almost 2 months before you "bought" the pig.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Woops, sorry I meant my dad didn't know so he instisted on buying and I forgot about adopting also. In the future Im planing on never buying again. Also I live in missouri and theres not alot of rescues. Is it ok to feed them bell peppers every day?

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
And also I forgot to add. If you could possibly find or stumble over a adoptable piggy or rescue in or near kansas city, missouri it would be great if you'd send it to me, thank you!

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
The Wayside Waifs Animal Shelter has two young female piggies available now.
The fact that they post them on petfinder makes me think that they take in small animals on a regular basis. Most shelters i know only post their cats and dogs here.

Pet Search Results: Adoptable Small Pets in Kansas City, MO: Petfinder

However, are you seriously thinking about adopting another piggy? Why would you do that, if you have one that may be pregnant. If she really is, your chances of having another female to keep are 50/50. Please take your piggy to a savvy vet because she needs proper care and nutrition if she is in fact expecting.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Nope, I was thinking in the future when I'm older and have a better knowledge about guinea pigs. Also, i will take her to a vet that specializes in guinea pigs as you said.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Gestation is 59 to 73 days - count back from the day you got her.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Today I could feel pups moving around. I'll take her to the vet. And if it sounds or looks like I intinionaly breed her I promise I didn't, I just thought I should throw that out there because when I reread it, it sounds a bit like I was when I wasn't. I'm going to start researching so I know what to do and expect. Again I thank you for this helpful advice!

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
"Woops, sorry I meant my dad didn't know so he instisted on buying and I forgot about adopting also."

Sigh. You should have spoken up about your dad's insistence on buying a pig. And how does one forget about adopting? You have lots of trouble on your hands; I definitely think you need to abstain from getting more piggies until you are mature enough to make the right decisions about them. I hope everything turns out okay for your pregnant girl.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm not even convinced that this pig isn't being bred on purpose because of your past history on the forum. Hopefully you aren't breeding, but like most when they say one thing then a later on say something to the opposite, they try to "backpedal" and try to find excuses.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
I know, and I'm sorry for that. That's because I didn't think that guinea pigs had the same problems that dogs and cats have w/ over breeding and stuff like that and that's why I didn't breed her intentionaly. I'm trying to convince you that I didn't breed on purpose or breed them at all and I will tell you I dearly love my guinea pigs and Love them with all my heart and wouldn't try to do any harm to them at all or any guinea pig in the world. I'm already willing to give my whole life for them and I will admit I have made many of mistakes in my life and 'am trying to fix the ones I have already made. I'm not planning getting any more pigs for a while so that I can get a hold of my life and in the mean time I will focus my time and money on my pigs so I can learn more so that I can become a better owner and that's why I'm here. I love to learn new things about these awesome animals and am willing to listen to your guy's advice if you have any which I'm sure and know you guy's have. And if I have to I will expand and make new cages for the babies if she does have them so that I don't add any to the # of pigs that already need homes. I look up to all of the people on this website and want to be a good as owner as you are.

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
The rest of us aren't perfect owners, we've made our past mistakes. I never thought I would be one to "criticize" someone else about their care of piggies, so I strive to be gentle while still getting my point across. That said, be sure you take great care to properly sex the babies as early as possible and separate all the boys from all the girls.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
I will be sure to do that and and will check them again when they are older to be perfectly sure nad plus I also have extra cage space for all the males too. Thank you so much!

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
When you can feel the babies moving, that means you have about 2 weeks to go by what I have read. Good Luck.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
When you can feel the babies moving, that means you have about 2 weeks to go by what I have read. Good Luck.

You can actually feel the pups start to move around the 6th week of pregnancy and they still have a good month or so to go at that point as pigs are pregnant on an average of 10 weeks. You can hear teeth grinding from inside the womb in the last couple of weeks.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
I actually did hear something like grinding when I was petting her. Why do they grind their teeth or are they even grinding their teeth?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.