Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Really excited!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
My mom said that if we moved her upstairs that I would be able to build her cage as big as I wanted(to a certain degree)! Yay!
I'm sososo excited!!
We're going to buy fleece tomorrow, and hopefully some grids if we can find them.
I'm not sure of what to use for the bottom? I don't really want to use chloroplast, because people say it's expensive? Do you guys have any suggestions for cheap bottoms?

And any suggestions about building and accessorizing would be appreciated as well!
Thanks!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
And I forgot to mention that I've been asking for months!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say coroplast is expensive. I guess it depends on where you get it. If you go to any sign store, they tend to have it for relatively cheap.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Check this link. I got 4'x8 sheet for $10.
(broken link removed)

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Coroplast

Coroplast can be bought for as little as around $10. I got my 4' x 8' piece for $15. Just call around and see what quotes you get. Sometimes, if you mention it'll be for a pig cage, they won't give you as high of a price. Worth a try!

If you can't find cheep coroplast, you could try going the shower curtain route. Some people have tried this and have had a success. I personally would check around for coroplast first though. That way you could have a solid bottom with sides. But, it's all up to you.

Building and Accessories

Are you planing on making a stand? Just curious, because if you are I could help you out there. As far as building goes, just remember to not skimp on the zip-ties. Make it very sturdy! What size cage are you thinking of making? For accessories, look at THIS thread. It has good ideas that aren't too overcrowding in the cage. Just browse around threads and the galleries and look at toys, hideys, etc.

Good luck!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys!
Yeah, thing is that like it would have to like a special trip to where ever the sign shops are around here. And everything else is pretty close.
I've seen on here that people use little linoleum tiles and put everything on that? How would that work? Would it leak through to my carpet? And also with the shower curtain, what would that look like?

I was thinking probably a 2x3 or 4 with a 2nd level if I could figure that out.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
UPDATE!

Hey all!

So mom and I went out shopping and got some adorable fleece and some grids!
I have the grids set up:

(If you can't see if just visit (broken link removed))
And the fleece is in the wash!

utsarah

Cavy Slave
I looked at your photos. Your little girl is just a doll!! :) My Gizmo LOVES strawberries too. He has some white on his face and it gets all red when he eats them. It is really cute.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
UPDATE NUMBER TWO!!

I just redid the upper level from a 1x1 to a 1x2.
The total dimensions:
The lower level is 2x3 with a 1x1 add on at the side to form an L. Then the upper level is 1x2!
Images are on my profile!

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi, i just saw your pic and was wondering what the sufrace under the fleece is? It looks like thin cloth. The good thing about coroplast is that its waterproof, cheap, and easy to cut and shape.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I hope you are not using this yet, as it's not safe. You cannot use the grids that have only 5 squares across (like the ones on the sides of the upper section) for walls as the pigs can get right through them and fall, or get stuck. It looks as if you might know this because it looks like you've attempted to offset some of them to make the holes smaller (like in the right side of the bump-out section on the bottom right of the photo) but you haven't gone far enough with that and the holes are still too large.

Grids with holes that large can be useful for building cage stands and the like, but I can't recommend using them otherwise.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
I had the same question but she is babyproofing so its all okay!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Hi, i just saw your pic and was wondering what the sufrace under the fleece is? It looks like thin cloth. The good thing about coroplast is that its waterproof, cheap, and easy to cut and shape.

Its one of those plastic table cloths
teehee

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
UGH!
Baby proofing the upper portion turns out to be u-g-l-y. I mean it's really really bad looking:)
I'm definitely going to make my mom take me to find coroplast now for the baby proofing portion. For sure.
I'm just going to wait for that to let her go up there. So for now it'll just be the bottom level.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
You will have to overlap grids, the ones on the bottom have 8 holes, not 9.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Update:
New pics up. Waiting on the second level.

She already tried to put her head through, she can't fit it.
And I don't have anymore grids..

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You need to get the right grids - the ones you have are not safe. Return them and buy them elsewhere

Adult guinea pigs have strangled on those grids. She may stick her head through when you are not there one day.

And I'd move the plugs too in case they decide to nibble on them.
Are you trying to add a loft?

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
You need to get the right grids - the ones you have are not safe. Return them and buy them elsewhere

Adult guinea pigs have strangled on those grids. She may stick her head through when you are not there one day.

And I'd move the plugs too in case they decide to nibble on them.
Are you trying to add a loft?

I think I'm just going to take it apart and ask my mom to order new grids.
I was trying to but was going to wait until I got coroplast..

Thanks for all your concern guys. I really appreciate your help making my piggie happier and safer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.