Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Alternative to Coroplast?

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be making my first Cubes & Something cage this weekend. I have plent of cubes, connectors, and zip ties, but not coroplast.

I'd prefer not to use linoelum, but I have some available if I can't find something else. Does anyone have other suggestions for something to use as an alternative to coroplast?

I can purchase coroplast in my area, I just have to wait for a ride to get it because it doesn't fit in my SmartCar :eek:

It might be a while before I get it, so I'd like to build the C&C cage now and add the coroplast later. Thanks.

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
i have the same problem. i want to build a second level for my guinea pig but i don't know what floor to put up there.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I too drive tiny car.. haha But here is what I did. I measured (twice!) before I left the house, then I bought the coroplast and cut and scored it right there in the parking lot! Crazy, I know! I actually did mine in 2 pieces because I have an L shaped cage and the coroplast wasn't big enough to make a single one. After I scored it I folded the flaps over and stuck them down with masking tape (easy to remove) and slipped the 2 pieces (keep the bits of leftovers, you NEVER know when you'll need them) in my trunk, back seats down. So, if you can't find a truck, find a friend with a hatchback... :D

But for the time being, put a shower curtain down (dollar store), then the cage on top, then towels and fleece. That was our first setup. You'll get stray poops and hay that falls out, but it's not too bad if you're cleaning every day anyway.

Last edited:

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
What can you use instead of coroplast? I need a floor for my second level, but I can't get any coroplast. The second level is small, so are there any other options?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
What can you use instead of coroplast? I need a floor for my second level, but I can't get any coroplast. The second level is small, so are there any other options?

What about buying a plastic storage box, the size you want your kitchen to be and cutting the bottom half off, for flooring and a wall, then cutting a hole in the side where your piggies will come up the ramp? That's what I had for a whole. Also easy to lift out and clean...

I'm assuming you are talking about a kitchen area.. ? For larger areas I have no advice, unless you buy a really BIG box. Cut the sides down though, so they have ventilation.

Last edited:

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea. It will be a kitchen area. How big are the storage boxes usually and where do I buy them? Why do I need to cut the bottom half off?

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
You can use a cheap shower curtain until you can get a ride. It's only like 5 bucks and is wonderful for a temporary cage.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea. It will be a kitchen area. How big are the storage boxes usually and where do I buy them? Why do I need to cut the bottom half off?

I think you cut the bottom half off of a tall sided storage bin and use that for the kitchen liner. Usually the sides are too high, but if you find one of the under-the-bed storage bins that is the right size, then you wouldn't need to cut it down!

I use a cardboard floor, covered by shower curtain, with an old yoga mat (for padding) and then the fleece/zorb liner for my upper level that is 1x5 grids long. I have a hard time finding coroplast in my area, but would love to be able to find some to replace the cardboard/shower curtain and it would allow me to have better sides for holding in the poops! I clean their cage often (scooping up poops everytime I walk by) so there is not usually much that falls out, but still I would love to find coroplast...

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

I found this from staples. I want something a bit wider, but if I can't find it then I will buy two of these for my second level. Are these low enough to leave alone? Or should I cut them?

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
I prefer Walmart or Kmart for buying storage boxes, they are usually cheaper to purchase than at office stores.

What size is your second level?

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
my second level is going to be 28 inches by 10 1/2 inches.

romyrox

Cavy Slave
maybe fleece

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
my second level is going to be 28 inches by 10 1/2 inches.

That is kind of an odd size, so you will probably have to find two containters and place them side by side. You could probably make a little ramp that they could walk over to get to the other side.

The advantage of coroplast is that you can shape it to fit whatever size you need.

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
Well I made the second level the measurements of the bins that I am going to get. I will buy two and cut them so they are connecting, then to save space in the cage I will get tunnels like these: Super Pet FerreTrail Bubble Wave Fun-nels Maze at PETCO connecting the loft from the outside of the cage to the floor of the cage. Before I knew about C&C cages, I had bought two cages from a store, and because I cannot afford a C&C cage right now. I am going to put these two cages together, make a loft, and connect the tunnel. That way it will be a 2.5 by 3.5 or 4 (I didn't measure it completely) cage (and there will be no ramp on the inside that takes space away from the cage.

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
I have decided not to buy those boxes because they will be very hard to cut and are to small. Can I put a few layers of fleece and towels instead of the storage bins or will that still hurt their feet?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
How about getting a box lid to use as a hard bottom? Or cardboard, then shower curtain, then towels and fleece?

cuckooforcavies

Cavy Slave
Hi. What I used for my guinea pig cage bottom was rubber matting. I found mine at Home Depot, but you can probably find it at Lowes, also. It's amazing. When I want to clean it, I remove my piggy's, I roll it up with everything inside, and then just go and dump everything in my garbage, then I just put it back in the cage, clean as new. Also, the pig's don't chew on it, which is a big plus and it holds in all the pee!

evelyn2

Cavy Slave
When did you buy it? I searched rubber matting at homedepot.com and they didn't have any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.