Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cleaning urine stains off of coroplast

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
Whats the safest product or household product that you can use to clean off urine stains successfully without harming the pigs?

I've been trying to use the vinegar and water solution for some time now but it doesn't seem to be working all that much so whats the other option to remove urine stains from coroplast?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try straight vinegar. Pour it on a piece of paper towel, leave it sit on the stain for 10 minutes.

ETA:
Are you using any newspaper in your cage? I've used to use it and found that the stain actually came from the newspaper. Those stains cannot be removed.

Last edited:

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Are you using any newspaper in your cage? I've used to use it and found that the stain actually came from the newspaper. Those stains cannot be removed.

I learn't this the hard way, My coro. Is stuck ugly forever. Because in a pinch I put newspaper in there. Never again.

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
Try straight vinegar. Pour it on a piece of paper towel, leave it sit on the stain for 10 minutes.

ETA:

I haven't tried that yet... straight vinegar... that sounds like an idea to try :) I will indeed try that idea on my next cleaning :)

I'm not using newspaper because my boars eats it. i was using 100% carefresh but I'm now using 50% of the carefresh and 50% fleece.

rob342

Cavy Slave

ETA:

try 409 and an SOS pad

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
try 409 and an SOS pad
Personally I wouldn't use anything so harsh in an animal cage. The smell is overpowering for an animal and the residue can cause health issues.

Stick with the vinegar. It's safe and it works. For stubborn stains sprinkle some baking soda on the area first, then soak a towel with vinegar and lay it over the stain/baking soda. The bubbling will help break-up and remove the stain and any crustiness.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Does that work also for wooden floors. My poppy peed on the floor it dried white and now i cant get it off :(

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I can't see how it would hurt to use it on a wood floor. Just don't allow it to soak too long.

If that doesn't work you can try washing the area (of the floor) with mineral spirits. It's strong enough to remove most crud but won't hurt the finish. If that doesn't work (and even if it does) treat the area with an enzymatic urine remover. It will eat up the urine and remove all trace. It's a "must have" product when potty training a puppy.

ekf501

Cavy Slave
That happened to me at the beginning of having my guinea pigs. The sides of the fleece would lift and then the pee would harden. I use 50-50 vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I spray, let it sit, scrape at it with the corner of my pooper-scooper and then wipe and scrub with a towel. It got them all out and now its clean :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.