Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Which colour

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Is best?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I need to sell my mum on the idea of fleece so I was wondering if there are colours that look less 'pleasant' than others? I want her to see that it really is a good idea, and she'll pick the smallest thing to tell me to chuck in the towel.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Dark color and pattern hides poos very well making the cage look less dirty.
Light color makes the cage look bright and clean when you first put the fleece in but it will look dirty very quickly.
Go with dark, she might be ok with it.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Dark as in red or dark as in black?

frillint

Cavy Slave
I disagree with that. I do agree the light colors make it look less clean after awhile, but I feel it is important for me to have a light color so i can notice any changes in poop easier and that was I can notice it their pee is normal. Say if they started peeing blood or just a little pink. You would never know if you had a black/brown/or red fleece. having a lighter color makes it easier for me to keep an eye on my piggyes poop/pee and it brightens up the room. I change my every other day so they do not get time enough really to get to messy.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
I plan to change mine every second day...Now I'm confused. Light fleece or dark fleece?

frillint

Cavy Slave
I don't really this there is a "best color". Personally I think dark colors are not a "fun looking". Dark colors look boring and kind of blah to me. I love the light fleece. You don't have to get something that is really light. They have a whole bunch of different shades of each color, so you can then get a really light or really dark or a right in the middle color. If you are planning on changing it a lot I would say light color. It looks better, brightens up the room to me and you are able to see a change in pee/poop easier.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs see in color. I like to have some pretty colored fleece that they can enjoy. I personally feel better when I have some nice colors to look at and I would think they like it, too.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs see in color. I like to have some pretty colored fleece that they can enjoy. I personally feel better when I have some nice colors to look at and I would think they like it, too.

I'm sold! I never new they saw in colour. I'll be going with my favourite colours then. :D

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Light fleece: pretty after cleaned. Looks vibrant. Cons: if you don't constantly clean it, it looks icky.

Dark fleece: pros: it can be vibrant if you choose a dark pattern. you cant really see poops. Cons: not as colourful, can look sort of bland.

I use light blue fleece(In all of my changes :p) in 3 different shades. But their all light, none the less.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I think it's best that you get colors you like. However, it's easier to see changes in urine color if the fleece is light in color. There's really no need to change it every day. You can easily get by with twice a week, even once a week if you clean up the poops every single day. If you have a litter box for them to go in (and they actually use it) then it doesn't matter of course. I use light colors in the kitchen area where they are most likely to go potty and then more vivid colors in the more open area where they are just running around and playing and less likely to potty.

spacefem

Cavy Slave
I have white piggies, so there's no way I'd ever go with black fleece. I'm constantly amazed at how much fur I shake out of the stuff, it's like I could make a whole new pig every four days. Anyway most of ours is patterns that match with the house. We have several types, shopping for fleece is a blast, we even have special fleece for Christmas. When I had a party to celebrate getting my pilot's license, I went out and bought blue sky fleece with clouds to get the GPs in the spirit :) 2 yards makes for a whole new look, might as well keep it exciting.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I got colours I liked and my pigs don't seem to mind. All mine are dark. I have dark red, blue and dark green!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I like to go with the more "busy" fleece. I have a couple bright ones and a couple darker ones. But the pattern seems to hide it well enough. I think that if you spot-clean often with a brush or vacuum, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Oh, and something to "sell" the fleece to your mum - it's WAY cheaper than traditional bedding. That's what mostly got my mom liking it.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I went out and bought blue sky fleece with clouds to get the GPs in the spirit

Sorry to go off topic, but it didn't happen to be this fleece did it?

Which colour

Cogni

Cavy Slave
You can gradually collect fleece over time. I get lots of pieces at thrift stores for the cage bottom, for their sleeping loft, and to use as fleece tents. A big thrift store which stocks nice clean stuff will have loads of practically new baby blankets. My pigs are not burrowers so I can use two blankets laid horizontally across the cage for the floor. I have both matched sets and mix and match pieces.
My piggies favorite loft fleece is a lemon-yellow baby blanket (folded in a square to fit the mesh grid that is the loft) with a little embroidered drawing of a cute giraffe and an elephant on it and "John Lennon" under it in embroidered script. This is an embroidered version of a little signed watercolor Lennon made for his baby boy Sean (now a grown up rock and roller). I have no idea who licensed John Lennon's art for bably blankets! But I find all kinds of designer stuff at the thrift store.
The best fleece for floors, in my opinion, is colorful patterns. I have a soccer-balls print with black, white, red and green and it is so cute for little boy piggies.

Spoto27

Cavy Slave
Mabey, you can get 1 set of dark and 1 set of light to see which works best for you and your piggies.

My sister picked out a green fleece with pond animals on it. The green pond one showed up the poos better than the one I picked out. I like this one because when I do my spot cleans I don't miss any and their cage is clean.

I picked out a Orange fleece w/ doggies all over. My orange w/ the doggies doesn't show the poos as much as the green pond one so it makes the cage look cleaner when it's really not but when I got to spot clean I have to make sure I get all the poos picked up and keep an eye out if I miss any.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
These are the 2 fleece pads I have sewn. I like the darker one more. It's not that dark, but it hides everything. For the urine color, I can see the change in the kitchen bedding.
Which colour Which colour

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
For me, it's less about aesthetics and more about practicality. I find that with dark colors, it makes the poos hard to find when you are sweeping them up. It's more of a hunting mission to make sure you get all the poos the first time.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Snow,
Here I am the mommy. My daughter's the piggy mommy, but I take care of the cage cleaning and I buy most of the piggy stuff and the reasons we went with fleece are:

Cost
Cleanliness
Reuseablity.

Cost was the biggest issue.

Let's say you have a 2x4 cage. I piece of 2 yard fleece will cover your cage and half a queen size mattress pad. Here I can purchase a mattress pad for $27. It does two 2x4 cages. 2 yards of fleece is around $14 (before any sales)

So for $41 (before any sales-I always use coupons or sales) I can get a full bed of fleece. Changing it bi-weekly, I expect a piece of fleece to last me at least 6 months.

Now if I were using another form of bedding, I'd have to replace that same bedding each time I decided the cage needed changing. So for about the same cost (a large bag of carefresh is $20) I would have to pay out that much each time I changed the cage.

To me, the fleece stays cleaner. I can see the poops and vacuum them away. In the carefresh or other litter, the poops mixed with the litter and I had to change the entire cage in order to get it really clean looking.

Fleece does need to be washed, but it is reusable, unlike litters. If you have your own washer/drier that isn't that big a deal, an extra load or two a week. But if you don't, you'll want to figure that into the cost. But still, to me, the fleece is cheaper, the animals seem to me to stay healthier, it's reusable, it looks nicer, can be changed to match your decor and can be changed as much as needed if your animal does get sick with little extra cost.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
I know that fleece is cheaper, cleaner etc but mum has it in her head that it will look disgusting, so I really want to prove her wrong. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.