Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands cage hanging over stand?

Kathy_D

Cavy Slave
I hope you all aren't getting sick of my incessant questions! After finally coming up with a design for a cube grid stand for my C&C + pet store cage, I stumbled upon another possible stand! My old queen sized bed had two sets of drawer storage underneath and we are no longer using that bed. So I think that might work well as a base, in fact it will be about the same height as if I used grids. So, my question is this: is it okay for the cage to hang over the stand at all? If so, how much is okay and how much overhang is too much? I still have to measure the piece, but I think it will be a bit narrower than at least the pet store part of the cage. If this will work, I will have more grids to play with and may be able to give my piggies a loft, so I'd have a 2x4 C&C plus the equivalent of a 1.5 x 2.5 for the pet store cage that will be their kitchen and maybe an "L" shaped 3 grid loft!

lissie

Cavy Slave
To have the cage hanging over the sides of the stand, you need a floor for the cage. You can make the floor from plywood or use grids. In this case, you'll need 8 grids for the floor.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 C&C cage on a 2x4 grid stand, leaving 1/2 grid overhang on each end, and I haven't had any problems with that much overhang.

Kathy_D

Cavy Slave
So it looks like for the C&C part of the cage, the overhang would be about 5 inches total (perhaps 2.5" on each side). For the pet store part of the cage the overhang would be about 12 inches so for that part I would attach a grid underneath to support the petstore cage and have one grid braced on the floor, just to make sure it's well supported. The base is about the same height as the grids. So, as long as I have grids unalong the bottom under the coroplast, I should be okay, right? This will give me more grids to play with! Yay!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.