Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels upper deck\kitchen dominance issues

Kareen

Cavy Slave
I have been trying to come up with a new design for our piggy cage. We have three girls - mama pig, Marley, who is of unknown age and her two daughters, Fern and Chloe, who are 7 months old. Presently we have a 2x5 1/2 with two 1x1 kitchens - no upper levels.

I'm trying to maximize space because the babies are growing and the cage somehow seems to be shrinking :eye-poppi. Hard to believe I once thought it looked huge!!

Anyway, the biggest I can go is 2x6, so I was thinking of making a 1x2 upper deck kitchen. The kitchen will be a hay munching spot - the rest of the food will be fed on the main floor. My concern is that mama pig is very dominant and she pretty much owns the space she's in. This is one of the reasons I split the 1x2 floor kitchen into two 1x1, so the other two can munch on hay on their own terms, not just when Marley is somewhere else. I'm worried that with an upper deck, Marley won't allow anyone else up there when she's there.

For those who have or have tried upper deck kitchens, have you found that dominant pigs prevent the others from going up there while they're up there?

Also, how well do upper decks work? Does it end up being harder to clean or more difficult to lay the towels and fleece on the main floor under the loft? I made so many mistakes cutting coroplast and attaching grids the first time around. I want to have everything carefully thought out this time around :rolleyes:.

dkottler

Cavy Slave
To help make the ground floor easier to clean, I do not have a permanent connector on the grids on one end of the bottom floor so that I can open them up like a door and pull the whole tray out as far as I need to for daily poop vacuuming, cleaning and weekly fleece replacement. I couldn't beleive that it took me weeks of trying to bend over and reaching in under the top floor before I figured out that I should do this! So much easier to just slide it out!

I too have a very dominant pig (Spice) and he does try to block the path on the ramp but although he thinks he is in control, he really isn't and Sugar ends up getting past him. It is pretty comical to watch sometimes. But we always try to watch and make sure the food is shared properly. Can they be so dominate as to really starve the others? I had 3 pet ducks as a child and I remember one being like that so we had to feed them in separate areas of the yard. He would never let the girls eat if we didn't!

victoria07

Cavy Slave
I'm also starting an upper level 2x1 kitchen. I'm not sure if it I'll work. So today will be the day I try it out when the pigs have free range time I'll add it in. Also its for more room for the pigs to run around in their 2x4 bottom level. Wish me luck!

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm not going to lie, the 2x2 upper level kitchen made the cleaning of the bottom floor a bit more challenging. However, I can still clean out the entire cage (fleece, towels, bedding, sweep, spray, wipe, and put back together) in under 30 minutes.

As for your plans for a 1x2 kitchen, I think it might be a little small for three pigs. I have a 2x2 kitchen with a box of hay two food bowls and a veggie bowl, when both pigs are up there, I don't know where a third would go.

I would recommend if you can, to put at least a 2x2 top level that way you may have room to put hay on two sides. The dominant pig cannot be in both spots at once, so the two little ones have a chance to eat as well. If you can make it even bigger, you could have all the food up there and that would give more running space on the bottom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.