Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When does the baby boy need to be seperated?

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
Turns out that I have a boy and a girl baby, not two girls. I am trying to find a new home for the boy and got a reply back from someone on craigslist saying that 3 weeks was to young and that I was being cruel. If I read right the boy can get the mother pregnant at 24 days, therefore I need to separate them at 3 weeks. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
They males can get the mom pregrnant at 21 days. They need to be separated so that there isn't an accidental pregrancy.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
He needs to be separated from the girls at about 3-4 weeks depending on if he is showing interest or rumbling the girls. He should stay with you until he is at least 5-6 weeks old. If you have another boar to put him in with that would be best. If you can divide the cage so he can't get to the girls that would also work. Make sure his cage is covered. Young boars are know to be climbers to get to the girls.

Good luck.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
21 days is correct. Not ANY later. He may not appear to have any interest in mounting but he only needs to do it once to get his mother pregnant.

If you're not keeping him he can go to his new home at this point.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The boars need to be removed at 21 days regardless.

You don't need to keep them any longer unless they are not thriving, or losing weight etc.

What if you only have a single boy? He'd be better off with an adopter who has a single male than being alone for a few extra weeks.

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
Okay, I was pretty sure about 21 days but I just wanted to make sure. Even if I had gotten no replies I would separate them at that time. This morning I caught the little sneak trying to mount his mother. On the 15th is when he will be 21 days...there is no possibility of him breeding earlier than that right? At the earliest it will be 21 days? I would hate for her to go through another accidental pregnancy and not even 2 months after the first one.

I had posted an ad on craigslist and some "helpful" lady styling herself as "CavyLover" was kind enough to email me and post a reply on craigslist that not only told everyone I was being cruel but saying that the babies needed to be kept with their mother until 6 weeks. In her email she admitted that she used to be a breeder and that she helps local shelters all the time. That's a bit scary. Does she get to take home the "accidental" babies that are born after the son gets the mother pregnant?

Well, I was flagged but I do believe I found a home for him without her "help". The lady has a young male and feeds him well, I need to find out what kind of a cage they are kept in but I will steer her towards this site and let her know where I got all my supplies for my C&C cage in town. I want to find the best home now so that when he is ready to go he doesn't have to be stuck in a small cage or portioned off from his mother and sister.

My cage isn't big enough to cut in half and still have enough room for everyone. I have been waiting for the babies to get a little bigger before I disturb everyone by altering the cage.

Thanks for your help. I think I will send lots of helpful links to this helpful woman to let her know that she may be misinforming people. She does know about C&C cages but not a lot else I guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.