Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Is there a way to tell if a piggy is blind?

• Thread starter misspiggy&piper
  • Start date

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I adopted 2 more boars 2 days ago and have them in quarantine right now. One of them (Einstein) is solid white with red eyes. At first glance I thought he was a lethal, and still suspect that he is. I kinda feel that he is blind. He just acts differently than the other pigs. He doesn't really run into things, but is cautious when walking, and doesn't notice me around unless he hears me or smells my hand as I reach down to pet him. He is actually pretty sweet, and lets me pet him. I haven't gotten a chance to try and look at his teeth yet. He eats pellets and veggies okay. And he drinks. He has no eye crust nor do his eyes look cloudy. He isn't sneezing. He seems perfectly healthy except for what I mentioned above. Oh, and also, he doesn't run around the cage or popcorn at all. He will walk all around the cage. Do I need to take him to the vet to confirm this? I have no experience with Lethals. I have been reading up on them on GL and here. I adopted him and his brother from a family who had had them for about 4 months and couldn't figure out " Why they haven't had babies??" So you can imagine what I saved these piggies from. I just wanted to know if anyone else has a blind pig and could offer me some guidance. I already love him, and he already comes to the side of the cage when he hears my voice :).

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Blind pigs eyes' reflect differently. You can try to shine a light in or around his eyes or like hold a ringing phone or something noisy near him and see if he reacts.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I may try the light test. I can wave my hand right in front of his face and he doesn't even flinch. My other piggies headed for cover when I tried it on them. (Then I felt guilty, but it was for testings sake.)

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I have posted pictures of him in my profile. His eyes are really almost as red as they are in the picture.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Oh, he isn't the one in my profile picture above. That is Boomhower. Einstein has crazy hair.

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
I remember reading that if the eyes reflect white instead of red, then the pig is blind.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, that's interesting. I am still searching for my flashlight to try it out.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
The 'ringing phone' test sounds like a test for deafness, not blindness.

I hope Einstein does not have the lethal gene!

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I hope he isn't either. I checked his teeth and they look normal. He seems to hear fine, and turns his head to the sound of my voice. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but he surely acts a lot different than my other piggies.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry.. yes that ringing phone / noise is for deafness but she said she thought the pig was a lethal. They are usually deaf and blind.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Maybe I am just being paranoid.....I know he isn't deaf. He responds to us talking. Maybe he is just a unique piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.